Shampoo Pack - Discussion
That's fair enough - like I said it's a perfectly good level, I just thought it would be better to prioritize "new" content. Everyone gets to put their two cents in though, and if the consensus is that it should be in, then it'll go in. It's good to see so many differing opinions on what makes separates a good level from a great one - it's indicative of the variety of levels in the voting pool, and also of the preferences of the community itself, which can only be a good thing. While in most people's books, bad levels are still bad levels, it's also interesting to here others' praise for levels I didn't like or didn't get, and vice versa.

On the subject of levels, I completed the Shampoo Pack last night, and these are some of my thoughts. I apologize to anyone if I'm ruining the levels for you by discussing them in here - if this is the case please do say and I'll tone it down, I won't be offended (:

Firstly, is #13 (Breaking into Fireball Lab) busted? My reasoning is as follows:
(1) The clone button next to the flippers produces fireballs that I think are designed to block the exit, but they end up drowning in the water anyway, which nullifies the challenge somewhat.
(2) There are two pairs of unconnected clone buttons at (12,13) and (14,8), and fireball clone machines at (12,14) and (14,14). I'm guessing the intended solution was to jam up these machines, preventing fireballs from cloning near the exit?
(3) Very minor: the hint mentions glider controls, but there are no gliders in the level, although this seems to reinforce point (2).

#25 (Teamwork) was a great little monster manipulation level that was long enough to be non-trivial, but not too long that it overdoes the concept.

I know it's been mentioned before in previous threads, but I'd like to reinforce/reiterate that #28 (Chip Suey) is an ideal CCLP1 candidate, and would work really well as a "review" level. There's a wide variety of challenges presented in an interesting and novel way, but the level also gives you plenty of breathing space to stop and work things out before rushing into them.

#30 (Tesla Coil - Part A) was a level that I found challenging, yet hugely entertaining. Watching the streams of fireballs in the southern section pass by each other was nothing short of mesmerizing, and I was quite sad when I had to shut them off! The only small criticism is that it's very easy to go through both teleport rooms first and get stuck because you haven't collected all the chips yet. Thankfully, this is quite near the beginning of the level, so it's not really a game-breaker for me.

#31 (Booster Shots) was another level I really enjoyed. While primarily a block-pushing exercise, there are also elements of monster manipulation and dodging to spice things up in between rooms. I also love that you can explore almost the whole level using the force floors, allowing the player to choose what order to do things in.

While an interesting level, I found #34 (Out of the Frying Pan) took far too much effort just to figure out what I was supposed to do. I spent hours pushing blocks randomly into teleports and deflecting fireballs with almost zero knowledge of what I was supposed to be doing, let alone why. It's just not a very intuitive level, so I can't vote it very high. Also, dodging fireballs in a 7x3 room with two blocks you cant trash, especially when the floor is also fire and the fireballs are hard to see was just mean.

Waiting around for 30 seconds at the beginning of #39 (Fwackoom) is really annoying, especially since once you're finally freed, you have to make a mad dash for a blue button to avoid cooking the level. On top of this, once you're past this point there's nothing more to the level than cloning some more fireballs and destroying some bombs...

Lastly, I'm so glad this set was rounded off by a level like #49 (Relic 2). The extra teeth monsters really add to the sense of urgency and make the level far more exciting. Running away from monsters, combined with the fast-paced nature of an ice puzzle, was incredibly enjoyable. Far from being annoyed when I found out most of the teeth were superfluous, I praise this level for two reasons:
(1) This level succeeds where so many others fail based on the simple concept of "more stuff does not necessarily equal a better level" - call it smoke and mirrors if you like, but this level achieves a lot by doing very little, and that has to be commended.
(2) This is the first level that has genuinely terrified me since VICTIM from CC1 Tongue

To the Lipstick Pack!
CC1: 5,954,550 (completed)
--- CCLP1: 5,989,110 (completed)
--- CCLP2: 5,936,410 (148 levels completed)
--- CCLP3: 1,223,887 (a few levels completed)

My levelset JRB_CCLP1.ccl
Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to beat Shampoo # 34 (Out of the Frying Pan)? The only idea I have for a solution seems too hard, and I'm not even sure it's possible. I'm playing on Lynx. It would be easier if the hint tile weren't there.
Get the green key, push the left block one space to the right, and push the right block one space up.
Quote:Get the green key, push the left block one space to the right, and push the right block one space up.

Doh! I had thought of putting the fireballs through the teleporter, but kept thinking I needed to somehow reverse the fireballs' direction to do so without losing blocks.
Quote:Get the green key, push the left block one space to the right, and push the right block one space up.
Shampoo Level 34 - Out of the Frying Pan

Before you push those blocks you have to use the green key to free the blocks in the upper right section first so you can push one into the space created where the blue key was found. Then push the blocks as described.
Here's my thoughts on Shampoo in its entirety as well:

Shampoo#1 (Free, Free, Set them Free): Do not like this kind of level.
Shampoo#2 (Flame War): Fun!
Shampoo#3 (Mix'n'Match): Good ELEMENTARY-clone
Shampoo#4 (Taking Tooth Castle): My own level. I give it 1/5, which might be a little harsh, but I can't really say I would appreciate the tiresomeness of it if I were not familiar with it already.
Shampoo#5 (Transylvania): Too simplistic?
Shampoo#6 (Do The Trick): Really liked this one. It's a "do things in the right order this time" kind of replay level, but it doesn't wear out its welcome.
Shampoo#7 (Rat Race): Tricky but a lot of fun. 5/5 from me for this one.
Shampoo#8 (Follow the Leader): I hated this kind of level in CC1 and I don't want to see it in CCLP1.
Shampoo#9 (Green Clear): Good toggle-door puzzle
Shampoo#10 (Everyone in Hurry): Annoying dodging, time limit
Shampoo#11 (Quark): Meh.
Shampoo#12 (Cineworld): Busted? What is the flippers supposed to be for? Nice theme I guess, but not that exciting of a level in general.
Shampoo#13 (Break into Fireball Lab): Not super-hard
Shampoo#14 (Fleep): Nope
Shampoo#15 (Metal Harbor): Good puzzle; good for late game. I was the one who nominated this for inclusion in the whitelist, and I think it deserves to be a later level
Shampoo#16 (Meddling Monsters): Good tutorial, but possibly too simple
Shampoo#17 (Bepis): I'll forgive the author his/her youthly indiscretions in designing this level.
Shampoo#18 (Half-and-Half): Decent idea, but the DOUBLEMAZE concept has been done better
Shampoo#19 (Between): Why are there so many of these glider+fireballs-moving-in-circles dodging levels...
Shampoo#20 (Beats): My own level. I'm not sure it's super fun (maybe too simplistic?) but it uses a concept that I don't see that often. It's easy enough that a novice could reasonably get it.
Shampoo#21 (Impenetrable): Like VANISHING ACT but somewhat less of a righteous pain in the ass
Shampoo#22 (Artifacts): It was okay, but I died a *lot*
Shampoo#23 (Rejected): Short, amusing, but a little annoying.
Shampoo#24 (Two Mazes for the Price of One): A short-n-easy DOUBLE MAZE clone, pretty decent
Shampoo#25 (Teamwork): My own level. Dodgy aesthetics aside, I feel really good about this level. It was one of the first five levels I ever made.
Shampoo#26 (Push Blocks): Turgid, tedious, at least it wasn't easily-cookable, because I doubt I'd want to play this one a second time.
Shampoo#27 (Magic Box): Requires planning, but is a lot of fun to plan. I feel like it was like TELENET from CC1. Wouldn't change a thing for this one.
Shampoo#28 (Chip Suey): Great ELEMENTARY clone. If we have a level serving as ELEMENTARY this would be a strong contender.
Shampoo#29 (Untitled): Decent.
Shampoo#30 (Tesla Coil Part A): Meh.
Shampoo#31 (Booster Shots): Very fun.
Shampoo#32 (Shift): Meh
Shampoo#33 (Corral): Great! A blob level I don't despise!
Shampoo#34 (Out of the Frying Pan): Too confusing, way too confusing
Shampoo#35 (Rollercoaster Ride): Decent. Surprisingly easy
Shampoo#36 (Hint): Tricky but okay
Shampoo#37 (Amphibia): A decent specimen in the genre of glider-dodging chip-grabbers.
Shampoo#38 (Assorted Cookies): Too many "gotcha!" moments for my taste. There are way too many times where you needed to restart just because you needed to do something unexpected and missed your chance.
Shampoo#39 (Fwackoom): Boring
Shampoo#40 (Totally Inappropriate): Totally inappropriate for CCLP1.
Shampoo#41 (Rock Band): Okay
Shampoo#42 (Detonation Station): Fun, but kinda short.
Shampoo#43 (Chip Mania): Boring.
Shampoo#44 (First Encounter): Okay tutorial.
Shampoo#45 (Fireballs, Gliders, Dirt, and Gravel): Okay tutorial
Shampoo#46 (Mining for Gold Keys): Great level! 5/5
Shampoo#47 (Chip's Delivery Service): A very fun level.
Shampoo#48 (Key Doors II): Tricky. A good key accounting level though.
Shampoo#49 (Relic 2): Good teeth dodging
Shampoo#50 (Stayin' Alive): Didn't get anything out of this one.