Chip56.ccl (updated; was Chip55.ccl)
Hello, everyone! This is my first level set.

http://cczone.invisi.../134-chip56ccl/

(EDIT: Updated again, July 30th - see below)

I've designed levels before, back when I was a kid, but these are the first ones I've ever released into the wild. Consider them a preview of what I hope will eventually be a full 149-level set. I started this before CCLP1 was announced, and I was aiming for a similar CC1-esque aesthetic, so when the submission deadline approached I stuck all the completed levels into a mini-set (55 levels, hence the original name) and uploaded it to the Yahoo group. In my rush to meet the deadline, I left in a few mistakes, which I've corrected in this update.

The "lesson" levels are probably redundant, since I'm guessing those will be chosen outside of the normal submission process. A few of the later levels might also be a bit tricky for a beginner's set, but I think the underlying concepts are simple enough to fit in anyway. If not, consider them available for CCLP4 as well.

Here are the revisions I made:
  • Changed the direction of a force floor tile in Level 2. Very minor effect on play, but it looked ugly and was an obvious mistake.

• Changed the sokoban area in Level 29 to make it solvable in Lynx mode.

• Removed the time limit on Level 37 (was 750 seconds). There's plenty of time to complete the level, but nobody should ever feel compelled to optimize that, ever. Tongue

• Fixed the ice maze in Level 45 that I somehow completely messed up and made unsolvable in the original version.

• Added a dummy level at the end for MSCC players. I changed the name of the file from Chip55 to Chip56 to reflect that, plus it's a catchier title anyway.

I'm going to leave the old version on the Yahoo group for now, since it's after the deadline and I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the rules and take my levels out of the running, but this is the version I would like to be considered for CCLP1. I'll replace the old file if the folks in charge confirm that it's OK to do that.

As this is my first level set, any feedback would be much appreciated.
These levels seem pretty interesting. PORTCULLIS, CHIPWEAVE, ELEVATOR, SPUMONI, CAROUSEL are some of the better ones I played. There's not all that many painful ones (BLOBSICLE being obvious, and invisible wall levels like INVISIBUG and DUST DEVILS), but a lot of the later levels are a bit hard.
Thanks for the feedback! "Pretty interesting" is pretty much the highest compliment I can think of for these levels, so I'm glad they had that effect. I'm surprised you found Dust Devils that hard, but I guess the wall placement was maybe less intuitive than I thought it was. The whole set could probably have benefitted from some playtesters (other than myself) before I submitted it, but like I said, it's really only about 1/3 complete.

I've updated the file again, to correct a couple other oversights I found:
  • Fixed busts in Levels 33 and 35.

• Simplified Level 44 to make it more beginner-friendly.

• Changed the teeth room in Level 46, also to reduce difficulty.

I never heard anything from the project staff, but I've put a message up on the newsgroup so hopefully this new update will stick.
I might as well (finally) post some feedback. Slight smile

I haven't beaten all of the levels, but I've attempted/solved a lot and I have to say, I really like them. There are interesting designs, concepts, and levels that put me in awe. My favorite of the set would have to go to WHIRLPOOL, SUNSPOTS, SPITTING IMAGE, EGAMI GNITTIPS, SHARK TANK, and SHUTTLE RUN. I can't wait for the 149-leveled set! Slight smile
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Henry, in case you haven't seen it yet, I've just completed a full Let's Play of your set. Slight smile Check it out on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/thetopcrusader2
Quote:Henry, in case you haven't seen it yet, I've just completed a full Let's Play of your set. Slight smile Check it out on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/thetopcrusader2

Oh no! Should I now watch the LP or actually play the set?? What do I do? I'd like to do both... maybe I'll play it first and then come back to watch the LP. Actually I shouldn't have time to do either right now, so I'll just add this to my seemingly never shortening list of stuff to do... Slight smile But then if the set is eventually going to be 149 levels, should I just wait for that instead? *bangs head against a wall*
Quote:Oh no! Should I now watch the LP or actually play the set?? What do I do? I'd like to do both... maybe I'll play it first and then come back to watch the LP. Actually I shouldn't have time to do either right now, so I'll just add this to my seemingly never shortening list of stuff to do... Slight smile But then if the set is eventually going to be 149 levels, should I just wait for that instead? *bangs head against a wall*

I'd play through them yourselves first. Some of Pottsie's levels become really easy after you watch J.B's playthrough, so just a warning.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Great set, Henry! I've played 33 of the levels so far, trying to solve most of them without looking in the editor if I can... I made it through the first 30 in a row but got stuck on BROWNOUT (still haven't solved it yet...), so I started to skip around after that... A lot of good CC1/CCLP1 style mazes (such as CHIPWEAVE, JEEPERS CREEPERS, the SPITTING IMAGE levels) and some interesting puzzles that would be good for CCLP1 as well (PORTCULLIS, RIGHT OF WAY, THE RIGHT TOOLS, MIGRATION).
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
From what I heard, Chip Suey has a good chance of making it in CCLP1
MY WEAPON SUCKS!
Quote:From what I heard, Chip Suey has a good chance of making it in CCLP1

Rule of thumb. Any level J.B likes will get into CCLP1. Thumbs up
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]