Poll: Are you religious?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
54.55%
18 54.55%
No
45.45%
15 45.45%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are You Religious?
Well, since I was asked, I don't believe creativity proves there is a God. It was just an aside about the difference in the Christian mindset between the forces of good and evil.

And MOST PEOPLE do not choose a religion -- they just pretty much stick to the one they are born into. I admire those who explore other options are being brave.

Also, I've read a lot over the years about ancient mysteries (one of my favorite subjects) and it's entirely possible that the religious history of many religions is misinterpreted. If you doubt this, try explaining Ezekiel.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I believe that you are correct, Dave. Most (emphasis on most) people don't choose their religious beliefs (including atheism), they fall into them culturally, most commonly via their immediate family. The interesting scenarios come where people take up a different faith, sometimes at severe cost to themselves. They can lose friends, family and even their lives. (Note the blasphemy provisions of many muslim countries that practice sharia laws.)
Yeah, I tend to listen more charitably to people who made a conscious choice regarding their faith (or lack thereof). I respect them a lot more than people who just run with what they were taught, without applying any critical thinking whatsoever.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Sorry for not replying earlier, but I wanted to make a complete response to everything that has been posted since my last reply. Warning: this post is VERY long. So long that the board is forcing me to do it in multiple posts.

In response to PB_guy and information, impossibility, dogma, eye evolution, worldviews:

[Click to Show Content]
In response to PB_guy's "rebuttal" of the "29+ evidences" article:

[Click to Show Content]
To ManipulatorGeneral, on the subject of the Christian God being expected to create life:

[Click to Show Content]

To Geodave, on the origin of creativity:

[Click to Show Content]

A comment on BitBuster's remark on the Bible:

[Click to Show Content]
To ManipulatorGeneral, on historical evidence and the argument from inconsistent revelations:

[Click to Show Content]

To Geodave and PB_guy on the subject of "choosing" a religion:

[Click to Show Content]

Excerpt from Richard Dawkins' book "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution", Chapter "Before Our Very Eyes", section "Forty-five thousand generations of evolution in the lab", describing in detail an experiment which quite literally shows evolution in action, including the "addition" of "information":

[Click to Show Content]

To myself:

[Click to Show Content]
Re: the Bible (or any religious text), I always thought of it this way (assume for the moment that the book is, at the very least, divinely inspired):

Scenario 1: The original meaning has been corrupted by human error. Why then trust the book?

Scenario 2: The book is the literal word of God (or whoever/whatever). Why then is it so damn confusing and ambiguous?

I think the Bible even quotes Jesus as saying something along the lines of "Most people won't believe in what I'm telling you." Could it be the way he was telling it (or not telling it, as the case may be?).

I also question the idea of pure faith. Think of it this way: if I was around in 33 AD, and I saw Jesus die on the cross and then I saw him walking around a few days later, nail holes in his hands, you know what? I'd probably accept anything he told me. Heck, even if I just saw him raise Lazarus from the dead, or perform any other sort of miracle (that I could be reasonably certain was not merely a fancy parlor trick), I'd be inclined to believe. In 2012, though, all I have are several variations of a book, and the testimonials of millions of people who each see the matter in a slightly (and sometimes radically) different way.

I really don't mean to focus on Christianity. I really have similar questions about other religions. But being raised Catholic, and living my whole life in two towns in which Christianity is by far the dominant religion, it's the one I tend to be the most familiar with. Plus, it seems to be the one everyone here is generally focusing on, so...

(BTW, James, those 8 hours of your life were well spent, imo. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments; actually, this whole thread is quite interesting, for various reasons...)
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Wow. I simply do not have the time to comment on all this.

I do have opinions on most of this. Let me just recommend what I think is the BEST explanation I've read of why a rational person might decided to believe in God. It's a small (but challenging) book by C.S. Lewis called "Miracles". The man died when I was a month old, and it's still the best thing I've ever read on the subject.

It is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE that there is no God, or for that matter, that there is no one else but me -- I think Sarte and his ilk covered all this long ago. If you really want your head to hurt, read DeCartes.

Anyway, my feelings about the human genome and human history are not mainstream and I don't have the facts here with me to argue them -- I was just sharing that I personally doubt that we evolved to what we are now without some sort of intervention.

I'm currently finishing up the book that the movie 2012 was based on. Now, that movie was mostly silly, but the book covers something that simply is unexplainable -- giant monolithic structures that are simply too old for us to have made them. These include the pyramids, as well as Macchu Piccu and sites in Mexico. We STILL don't have the technology that was required to build these things. And they are at LEAST 5000 years old. So what gives?

And the Bible is no help -- with it's references to demi-gods and genetic engineering. The fact is STUFF HAPPENED a long time ago and we don't know what it was.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I don't think a rational person can ever be convinced of anything*. And as Forrest Gump said, that's all I have to say about that.

*Ok, this statement is probably paradoxical. But treat it as a mystical statement, and suddenly its contradictions become its beauty. Or something like that.