Anime
I'm sure you linked to a deliciously interesting trope, but I'll pass for now.

And yeah, any trope is bad when it's used badly. On the other had (almost) any trope can be good when used correctly. It's almost all about the skill of the writers. Good ideas and concepts are easy to find and are a dime a dozen - as a writer myself in my spare time I can testify to this. Putting them together into a good, coherent story that is enjoyable for the person reading or watching it is the hard part.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
I've only watched the Pokemon anime and Spirited Away. I have been to an Anime club for a year in my University, but it wasn't really my kind of thing to be honest.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:I just started watching Evangelion, since it was often compared to MSMM in terms of "darkness". Was about to say I'd never heard of any of the rest, but I looked up Studio Ghibli and they made Kiki's Delivery Service, which I watched when I was really young. (Interestingly, it got an astounding 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...think I'll watch it again at some point ^_^)
I recommend watching the Evangelion 'movies' after watching the series.

Also, if you aren't familiar with the Studio Ghibli films, you must watch some! Kiki's Delivery Service is one, yes, but at least watch Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky / Laputa (my personal favorites).
I'd rather have a dose of Looney Tunes anyday!

Or Tex Avery's cartoons. Slight smile
'I made 1,000 levels once.' - Jacques

Quote:I'd rather have a dose of Looney Tunes anyday!

YES Slight smile
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Sweet, they're just awesome cartoons! Which Looney Tunes are your favorites?
'I made 1,000 levels once.' - Jacques

I don't really have a favorite. I haven't seen them in quite a while, so I can't remember too much about them, but I do remember that they were awesome.
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:Not saying tropes are bad, just that there are tropes that are overused in anime that I dislike.

If you're seriously watching Eva you best do yourself a favor and make sure you watch the End of Evangelion movie instead of, or at least in supplement to, the final two episodes of the tv series. It doesn't help you understand what happens better, but it tells an arguably much more interesting story.

Of course, although I can't say I dislike those tropes as much as you do.

I always watch any movie accommpanyments, so I'll watch the Evangelion ones in due time (still need to finish the series first, whenever I get enough time for that).

Quote:And yeah, any trope is bad when it's used badly. On the other had (almost) any trope can be good when used correctly. It's almost all about the skill of the writers. Good ideas and concepts are easy to find and are a dime a dozen - as a writer myself in my spare time I can testify to this. Putting them together into a good, coherent story that is enjoyable for the person reading or watching it is the hard part.

Too true. Tongue (you write in your spare time, eh?)

Quote:I've only watched the Pokemon anime and Spirited Away. I have been to an Anime club for a year in my University, but it wasn't really my kind of thing to be honest.

Why'd you join your university's anime club if you hadn't seen any? Tongue

(Also, you didn't watch any in that entire year? What made you realize it "wasn't your thing"?)

Quote:Also, if you aren't familiar with the Studio Ghibli films, you must watch some! Kiki's Delivery Service is one, yes, but at least watch Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky / Laputa (my personal favorites).

Sure thing ^_^ There are quite a lot, it seems.

Quote:I'd rather have a dose of Looney Tunes anyday!

Or Tex Avery's cartoons. Slight smile

Awesome stuff to be sure, but that's a bit of a strange remark...
Quote:Also: Haibane Renmei, Dennou Coil, and Cowboy Bebop are all on my "to watch" list. Haven't heard of the last three, although if they're anything like the first three they'll soon be on that list as well. ^_^

That list has a wide variety of shows. I'll describe the ones you haven't heard of:

Azumanga Daioh is a slice-of-life story about the high school years of an eccentric group of girls. It retains a lot of the format of the popular manga it derives from, being split mostly into "strips" which each have their own title and punchline. But the strips are all grouped into a single episode, although in first broadcast I understand they were separate. It's very cute and heartwarming, sometimes with an offbeat indie humor.

FLCL is a very strange, short and surreal coming-of-age story involving teens, robot angels, and an alien that rides a vespa, with weird forays into absurdity. It's not serious at all, doesn't make a ton of sense, is rather funny and has an amazingly cool soundtrack by the pillows. Not for everyone, and has some risque bits.

Gurren Lagann is a "mecha" anime, If I were to hazard to distill its theme, it's about ridiculous optimism in the face of grim odds and achieving greatness. Full of emotions, fighting, very cheesy and over the top. The running gag is the inconceivably massive size of mecha, which reaches astronomical proportions before the end. Has a possibly disagreeable amount of fan-service near the end of the beginning, but that quickly ends when the show starts getting really serious. "Believe in the me that believes in you!"
Quote:Too true. Tongue (you write in your spare time, eh?)
Yes. Well, I juggle it between half a dozen other things, but it's highest priority if I get a good idea.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!