Stupid idioms
I'm generally pretty forgiving when it comes to language. I love to read and write. I love words. But there are two things about language that I will not accept. I am more infuriated than I am amused by puns (that's a thread for another time), and I despise idioms.

Here's the thing about idioms: the semi-bad ones become crappy cliches. The truly bad ones are, well, truly bad. They don't become cliches, but they still exist, in a sense, to haunt.

There are no other levels of idioms. There's "semi-bad," and there's "bad." Kind of like Stanley Kubrick movies. But I digress.

The idiom I'm most hostile to at this particular moment is "I like the cut of your jib" (and all its varients). I hate it. I've read the historical origins of it, and that just made me hate it even more. It sounds horrible to begin with, and when you start comparing people's opinions to the sails of a ship, it descends into outright lunacy.

How the !@#$ did someone even come up with that? It's completely non-sensical! It's preposterous!

So, anyway...I hate idioms.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Reminds me of the 1982 replublican slogan "Stay the course". Meant absolutely nothing to midwesterners.

In general, I find the study of idioms interesting, but you really should use ones your audience will understand.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Idioms are certainly interesting...but then, so are Twilight moms. They're interesting from a sociological perspective, but on the whole, I'd prefer to keep my distance.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
You don't like puns? Flushed Maybe I can convince you...

Q: What did the buffalo say to his offspring when he dropped him off at school?

A: "Bison."
I don't like that one so much, and if so I can imagine BitBuster will still hate it... I'm not much of a big fan either. Sorry.
*sniff, sniff*

Fire block
Don't take it too hard, I'm sure there are millions of people who would find that funny, I just don't have the right chemistry. Teeth
I liked it. Smiley
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:Don't take it too hard, I'm sure there are millions of people who would find that funny, I just don't have the right chemistry. Teeth

The right... Chemistry?

I love telling chemistry jokes! Unless they're about Noble Gases.

There's just never any reaction.

(/REALLY lame pun)
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
I laughed at that one.