Submission duration?
Submissions opened in October. Ideas and discussion for what the set should look like are still ongoing. Is less than half a year enough to make 149 quality levels for this set? How many levels are now in the voting pool? Maybe there are enough decent ones in there, but I still can't help thinking this is a bit rushed. Why not an extra year even?

-Miika
This is supposed to be a timely project, not a forever project like CCLP3....

Feel free to start working on CCLP4 anytime -- that could go on for years.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
All I'm saying is that knowing that the deadline is in a month is very short notice considering how long it can take to make decent levels. Had this deadline been announced back in October, it would be a totally different case. Perhaps you've had time to design levels in the past months, but I sure feel left out because I've been concentrating on other things.
Quote:This is supposed to be a timely project, not a forever project like CCLP3....

It's also supposed to be a high-quality project, given that this is the set with which beginners are going to first experience CC. This set isn't for us: it's for people who have never heard of CC before.

(Or at least that's the impression I have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Agree with M11k4 and BitBuster.

There are some really good sets in the current pool, e.g. ArchieP1.

But I think it could do with more variety, which will only come with time.

(Unless all the sets submitted for CCLP3 are auto-considered for CCLP1, but that doesn't seem to be happening...)

- Madhav.
Maybe the reason CCLP3 was so great was because it wasn't a rush-job.

If people are impatient to begin work on this project, perhaps we could start evaluating and voting on the levels that have been submitted so far? We'll call this set "A," and everything submitted after the March 31 deadline goes into set "B." This way some of the hard work can begin shortly, and it'll allow people to vote on more levels because it divides up the work. Playing and voting on a few thousand levels is rather intimidating; doing it a few hundred levels at a time is slightly less so.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
It's been the general consensus that there are plenty of levels out there.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:This is supposed to be a timely project

No it's not. (Although I'm not quite sure of the meaning of the word "timely" - I'm guessing here.)

Quote: Feel free to start working on CCLP4 anytime -- that could go on for years.

I'd like to say the opposite. Feel free to rush CCLP4, but do not rush this. We only have one chance to make a CCLP1.

At first we started discussing CCLP4. Then someone came up with the idea of making CCLP1 - a set that is supposed to be really high quality, filled with levels that are fun to play and that will make newcomers to this game see how brilliant Chip's Challenge is. The set is supposed to be filled with variety, and to introduce a new player to a great number of different concepts. It is supposed to be a really thought-through level set. Aren't we supposed to make a big community project of discussing what different kinds of levels we want? How can we close submissions before that's even done? Are we going to re-open submissions when we find that there are not enough good block pushing or labyrinth or partial posting or whatever levels in the pool?

Do not waste this thing just because some people are impatient!

If you are impatient to start working on CCLP1, then I suggest as pieguy sad at the NG, start playtesting and confirming compatibility while submissions are still open. Otherwise, perhaps something like what bitbuster said could be done, but that should also be really thought through in that case.

If the staff has an agenda that they want to see the whole thing completed before the end of the year, I don't think that is right. I completely agree that the submissions period for CCLP3 was too long, and I wouldn't like to see that happen again, but I think it turned out a great set and deserves to be our newest set a bit longer than to the end of this year.

Edit: We could do a quick poll to see where the community's at in this issue. I haven't started one though because it feels a bit like mutiny...
^I agree completely, Ida. CCLP4 would be "just another" sequel. CCLP1 has to be of an insanely high quality.

Well, I suppose it doesn't have to be, but it sure would be nice. Slight smile
I do like you a lot, though, Dave. Slight smile