Recording Chip's Challenge footage
What do you use to record your Chip's Challenge footage with? I usually just use Chipcap for level solutions, but for Let's Play videos I like to have the sound of the game in the background so I record with CamStudio or Hypercam for sound included. What is your preference on this?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I despise ChipCap. Why must it speed up gameplay footage by a certain amount which only makes it look oddly harder? The videos also only work in Windows Media Player, try loading one in VLC and it is epic funky colors.

I propose we all use Hypercam 2 to make "AVI" videos then convert them to WMV and upload them to the AVI database just to be annoying.
Quote:I despise ChipCap. Why must it speed up gameplay footage by a certain amount which only makes it look oddly harder? The videos also only work in Windows Media Player, try loading one in VLC and it is epic funky colors.

I propose we all use Hypercam 2 to make "AVI" videos then convert them to WMV and upload them to the AVI database just to be annoying.

Cam Studio is the only one I can stand, and it has size issues.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I wish Fraps worked with Tile World, as while it records GIANT videos it never has glitches or off-syncness and would work perfect for Lynx recording.
I use CamStudio when recording LP videos and ChipCap for official solutions.
Quote:I wish Fraps worked with Tile World, as while it records GIANT videos it never has glitches or off-syncness and would work perfect for Lynx recording.

That's the problem I have with Fraps. I have to constantly buy external hard drives for all my videos to keep the space up. I'd rather have compressed MP4 videos of Chip's Challenge anyday because it's so basic and you don't want the video recording to cut you off when you run out of space, do you?
Quote:That's the problem I have with Fraps. I have to constantly buy external hard drives for all my videos to keep the space up. I'd rather have compressed MP4 videos of Chip's Challenge anyday because it's so basic and you don't want the video recording to cut you off when you run out of space, do you?

That's where conversion comes in. It's pretty easy for me to compress a 4GB Fraps video down to 40 megabytes of Windows Media in Premiere.
Quote:That's where conversion comes in. It's pretty easy for me to compress a 4GB Fraps video down to 40 megabytes of Windows Media in Premiere.

Yeah, I do convert the videos, but you can notice straight off the bat that it's compressed. HD videos are the worst contenders, but Chip's Challenge it doesn't really matter.
Camtasia Studio for everything CC. Hail me.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:I despise ChipCap. Why must it speed up gameplay footage by a certain amount which only makes it look oddly harder?

Well, I think technically, the computer is actually running CC slower... Smiley The game second probably should be the same as a real second, as shown in the AVI, but computers for some reason run it slower (CC has been known to be a resource hog; perhaps that has something to do with it...).

I used to have a computer that I think actually ran CC close to "real-time"... I tested it by setting it up side by side with a newer computer, setting them both to the same level with a 29 second time limit, and hitting the space bars to let the time run out. Chip ran out of time on the old computer while the newer one's counter had 4 seconds left...
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels