Block Arranging III
What are everyone's thoughts on Block Arranging III (MikeL2 #195, currently MikeL3 #18 but that number could change by the next release) as a CCLP1 candidate? My biggest concern about this level is the number of "bouncing block" situations occuring on ice paths only 2 tiles long - I struggled a bit with these myself while re-testing the level for the MikeL3 release. I did just begin work on making those ice paths at least 3 tiles long, but this kind of looks odd in some of the situations; plus I haven't done anything with the bottom left corner room yet, which this method wouldn't really work for due to the number of blocks and size of the room (I could move 4 of the blocks into the squares inbetween the ice, but that would take away the bouncing-block aspect altogether).
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Well, what do you think about Firing Line? (geodave3.dat level 40).
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:Well, what do you think about Firing Line? (geodave3.dat level 40).

It's not too bad; I think the bigger issue with this one would be slide delay... The second half of the level makes me think it could work as the "Block Buster" of CCLP1... Wink

It looks like there's one instance of the block bounce-back that I'm referring to (in order to get the bomb at 28,18), whereas mine has 4 instances of it plus an entire room full of them...

BTW, I think there are a few potential busts in geodave3 #40:

- You can actually push a block directly onto the bomb at 6,1 instead of making it bounce on the ice slide... This could probably be left as is (and perhaps was intended) since it makes it a bit easier to get the last chip, plus you need space up at the top anyway to get around the block at 2,2.

- In MS mode you don't need to push any blocks in the second room with the suction; you can just hop sideways off of 2,19 or 6,19...

- If the player ignores the previous bust and does that room properly, slide delay will be in effect, which I believe might allow you to get the chip at 1,22 using the "Flame Boy" method, resulting in only 1 block being needed in that room.
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Yeah, the end of the level has lots of problems with slide delay. I'm still not sure what to do about it, as it is great in Lynx. This level won't make CCLP1, so I'll have time to fix it.

Also, the first bomb is supposed to be achievable without bouncing.

I'm not worried too much about the "Flame Boy" thing, as it doesn't change the solution that much.

As for your level, the ice slides near the end are pretty tight. I haven't played through the level, but I think I'm going to like it.

One thing you could consider is forcefloors at the end of each ice slide. It gives you a little more time, but not quite as much as more ice.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
On "Block Arranging III": I enjoyed playing through this level a lot. The only concern I'd have about its inclusion in CCLP1 is that its length combined with several different challenges and puzzles might make it feel like a "Cityblock" in the set, where a certain area with its own unique challenge won't be reachable until everything else is completed first.
I actually forgot about the block near the exit in my previous post; that one also involves some block-bouncing...

Either way, adding extra ice to those ice slides just didn't really look right in some places (and would have required a bigger change to the bottom left room), so I think I'm just going to leave the level as is... It'll probably have a slim chance of getting in CCLP1, but oh well...
Mike L

My level sets: