Poll: Defined as somebody who plays CC with the intention of improving their best times (mostly in the 3 official sets). One can be both a casual and competitive player.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am
21.74%
5 21.74%
I was in the past, but I lost interest
0%
0 0%
Sort of...I don't consider myself a serious one
60.87%
14 60.87%
No, but I might try competitive play out
4.35%
1 4.35%
I will die before I care about my best times
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are you a competitive player?
<no comment>
I like to improve my times, but just forget bold routes entirely for me. My fingers would break at Doublemaze for sure, and no comment @Blobnet.
Blobnet :wub:
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
I am the most competitive player there is. My passion for boosting burns like the fire in Beat the Heat. And don't get me started on flicking. The first time I tried it on Debug File, I kept on flicking for hours. I refuse to play any level with random elements in it. Even if they are inconsequential to the bold route, like in Sardines, I will not play it. In fact, I wrote a 22-page letter to Chuck Sommerville explaining how the inclusion of Blobnet in CC1 was the greatest human tragedy to occur within the past 100 years. The letter would have been longer if it weren't for the inclusion of Doublemaze, which is the greatest level ever made because of its optimization potential (though, without T-Chip, its optimization would be pointless). In conclusion, I am the greatest optimizer around. I knew there was a bust in Yet Another Yet Another Puzzle since the beginning, but I let pieguy announce that he discovered the bust. My score on Cloner's Maze is 798. But I don't need the recognition; it's the numbers that give me the thrill to continue optimizing.

Okay seriously, I'm not that competitive. I mimicked some of the CC1 AVIs to improve my score and after getting in 40th place, I decided that was enough Tongue I haven't tried improving my scores for CCLP2 much, and I still need to complete CCLP3...
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
I prefer making levels than actually playing them, but I do play a few levels here and there, but usually not good enough to get bold times.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Apparently I'm good enough to get bolds, cue Andrew B.'s words there. Though I'm generally not interested in doing so, for it'd require an insane amount of time which I don't necessarily have on my hands.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
I only do because it makes me feel like I'm beating a set '100%' if you will. Also because I want to beat either Pieguy, John Lewis, or Andrew B at a record just for fun. Like that's ever going to happen though...
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
I am, or at least I used to be... Somewhere along the way (whether due to a decrease in CC time, the increase in difficulty of many new levels, or a combination of the two), I haven't been caring quite as much about times (although I still hope to get some CCLP3 improvements in before college starts back up...). Lately I've also been trying to avoid looking at solutions when I can (although I needed John's TWS just to solve quite a few CCLP3 levels during playtesting...), which doesn't really help the quest for bolds...
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Though I enjoy competitive playing, CCLP3 playtesting helped me appreciate the value of casual playing.

My encouragement to the other playtesters during that period was, "Think like Rock." Slight smile
I enjoy optimizing levels. I see it more as playing against a level rather than other people, though. But it's great to have the scoreboards to know what's possible. And of course it's nice to beat someone else's score when possible!

It's also important to me to complete a set in full, but just solving all the levels. Optimizing everything would usually just take too much time! But for many levels it is very satisfying to solve the "puzzle within a puzzle" that is finding how to complete all the required tasks most efficiently. It takes a while to learn this well, but the avis for cc1 and cclp3 really should help anyone who is interested in trying for themselves. I worked on many levels myself and then looked at how it should be done :-) I encourage others to try and optimize a few levels, even if later you still like playing mostly casually :-)

-Miika