20 Levels I'd Love to See in CCLP1
[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_10/blog-0128493001369190145.jpg.a2744dcb05aed0973b0eecfe678d82ac.jpg[/img]If you saw my post a few months ago in the "Ten Levels You'd Love to See in CCLP1" thread, then you'll recognize some of these levels. But then I had a thought: why not add ten more and post a blog entry about it before voting started? Slight smile It never hurts to take a break from talking only about level designing! It's not my "top 20" in any way, but these are all levels I'd absolutely love to see in CCLP1 that haven't been in the spotlight or mentioned much - made by 20 different designers - along with a brief explanation about why I enjoyed each. So, in no particular order:

And the Buttons Were Gone (Ida Roberthson): One of the most fun aspects of CC1 was its wide open levels. Who didn't love running around
Nice Day or walking around the room in the expanse outside the room in
Lemmings? It's just one of those original game charms that was lost with the "compressed cleverness" of CCLP3. In this level, there's a puzzle, but the puzzle is quite simple, isn't crammed into a tiny room, and certainly isn't obfuscated by layers of deception. There's freedom to walk around, which is a plus. All in all, probably one of the most non-complicated and enjoyable "monster manipulation" levels out there.

Celtic Rotation (Ben Hornlitz): Though the name may bring back memories of CCLP3, the implementation of the concept here is much less complicated and feels like a clean, symmetrical CC1 level. There are only four traps, which makes everything much simpler, and the itemswapping isn't excessive at all. Very well-designed!

Firewall ("tensorpudding"): CCLP1 needs some good old-fashioned dodging levels. I've always said that one of the hallmarks of a well-designed CC level is knowing just how far to take a concept. It's especially difficult with levels that are
purely about dodging because of the lack of an undo or checkpoint feature in the game: the longer the level, the more frustrating failure can be for a player. This level, however, is just the right length. It takes a concept that feels easy at first sight - fireballs traveling through lines of teleports in a predictable manner - and forces the player to learn the gimmick as he plays at a pace that's reasonable. What's even better is that the linear "maze" through which the player travels starts off incredibly simple so the player can get used to the dodging and then gets a tad more twisty toward the end. Very well designed!

Chip Be Steady
(Kevin Stallman): The concept of creating
Strange Maze
s that extend into the realm of not pushing buttons or collecting boots in order to make it out alive may not be new in the custom level designing world, but it certainly would be for a first-time player, and this level just hits all the right notes. Many of the KTNUSA levels extend to the edge of the map, and while this may be overkill in some of the other levels, it certainly doesn't hurt this one; in fact, it helps it by creating an expansive maze that never quite gets old. The neat door arrangement seals the deal with all four colors represented in each section.

Stairs (Archie Pusaka): There's a level called
Skiing from TomR1 that played around with this zig-zag design style, but unfortunately, it fell into the trap described above of filling up the entire map with the same concept. This level, on the other hand, features a single set of "stairs," but the challenges therein consist of four different "stages." It's actually a really simple itemswapper, but it's just so fun to play that it's hard not to enjoy it! The end may look like a cheap "dodging near the exit" challenge, but thankfully, the hint reveals that it's quite a bit more straightforward than it appears at first glance. Good stuff.

Burn Out
(Grant Fikes): Much like the level above, this level reminded me a lot of another one - in this case, EricS1's
Separation and Regrouping
, in which two cloners would clone on the same column using a force floor, separate into two streams via toggle wall, and then merge via another force floor before the monsters died. The challenge in that level mainly involved collecting all the chips before time ran out, but here, the objective is to evade the two less concentrated fireball streams while working against the flow. Much like other great levels, this one knows just how far to go, never overstaying its welcome. Perhaps the most satisfying moment is blocking the clone machine at the end to get to the exit located by the "merge" area. That always feels relieving after all that dodging and weaving!

Corral ("ajmiam"): Some people who may think this sounds crazy, but I actually enjoyed
Blobdance from the original CC.

Slight smile This level features a similar challenge with rectangular rooms and blobs, but it's a lot less frustrating and includes a fun strategic element: using arsenals of blocks to box blobs in. I can think of a lot of players who'd have fun with that outside of the goal of exiting, but beyond that, the level itself doesn't feel stale. The rooms have a variety of sizes, which make the smaller rooms a lot more intimate in terms of blob dodging and boxing. Overall, this level is very enjoyable to play and just screams CCLP1.

Blocked Alley ("Syzygy"): One thing we often forget as designers is that playing a CC level isn't just about getting to the exit. It's about the experience too. The atmosphere we create lends itself to that experience for better or worse. Here, it's definitely for the better. I've always believed that permanently invisible walls work well when used sparingly or in a way that doesn't make the player feel like he or she needs to rely hopelessly on sound to find the way out. In this level, they work brilliantly to enhance what's already a wonderfully claustrophobic environment and to make players feel even more lost. The narrow time limit works well too, and the monsters inside the "buildings" give an even greater sense of urgency, bringing to mind CC1's Nightmare.

Roundabout ("jbdude55"): There have been many levels over the years that have emulated what CC1's
Colony achieved, but this is one of the few levels I've seen that takes the concept and breathes some new life into it. The elements in the spaces between the rooms add some itemswapper fun to the mix, and the ones that seem a bit iffy at first (blue walls, invisible walls) are used to great effect and don't feel cheap because each room is 4x4 and contains only one monster, allowing the player plenty of time to explore. Aesthetically speaking, the level is a triumph. Note how the spaces between the rooms alternate from room to room - the pattern they form when all four are viewed from a single room has a beautiful symmetry.

Fiery Fogstorm
(Josh Lee): CCLP1 needs a force floor level or two. Sadly, many force floor-centric levels fall prey to one of the following pitfalls: (a) ripping off
Forced Entry,
( B) ripping off
Force Field,
or © presenting a sidestepping challenge that's just way, way too hard, sometimes with no opportunities for subsequent attempts without a restart. This level does none of those things, with a simple-to-understand maze and only one major mid-force floor navigation challenge that presents no penalty for initial failure and an aesthetic that I can only describe as unique. There are also multiple entrance points to some of the chip hiding places, which makes the task at hand much less rigid and more friendly. And the title itself just screams win.
Slight smile

They're Not Called Blocks for Nothing (Eric Schmidt): So far, I've been listing levels that have been rather easy - or if moderate in difficulty for a beginner, at least easy to grasp. The concept here is quite easy to grasp, but the level in which it's featured is what I like to call a "difficulty curve" level: one that teaches the player the "trick" at the start while steadily increasing the difficulty throughout. Thankfully, the challenges here are quite reasonable. The last room, while being the most challenging, is actually deceptively simple. And to top it all off, there's a nice "end at the start" touch that brings everything full circle.

Chip Alone
(Tom Patten): "Be a good little fella now and open the door!" Tom's original classic sadly didn't make it into CCLP3, but its sequel did. CCLP1 would be a perfect opportunity to use the original while paying a masterfully designed homage to a quintessential Christmas movie. The layout is much simpler than the sequel, with little preparation needed before the monsters travel through the "house." Speaking of which, it's fun to speculate about what rooms of the house are represented throughout the level. Is the area through which the bottom fireball travels supposed to resemble the basement? Only Tom would know, but I suspect yes.
Slight smile Also, if the extra room with the boots outside is supposed to represent either the treehouse or the neighbor's house...well played.

ChipWeave (Henri Potts): CC1 had its fair share of maze levels, and CCLP1 could use some, if only to get things "back to basics." This level combines the game's objective of chip collecting with a maze that looks easy but is actually a tangled web of well-laid paths. Incredible design here, and a lot of fun to navigate.

Skydiver's Maze (J.B. Lewis): Okay, I'm not usually one for self-promotion, but I couldn't resist here. Slight smile This level is hard but manageable. One of my favorite difficult level qualities is the ability to explore before making any big decisions that could lead to a restart, and I tried to apply that principle here. The objective is to get a block down to the trap button at the bottom. Thankfully, the high time limit allows for plenty of study and path-tracing before any actual pushing is done, and the final solution is pretty satisfying to find. As an added bonus, I placed some tantalizing ice skates that can't ever be collected - whatever happened to the days when we put items in our levels that were obviously unreachable without having to experience a Trust Me-style red herring?

Badlands (Tyler Sontag): I absolutely adore this level. It's not only a fun level to play, but it also looks beautiful. Remember back in CC1, when levels like
Drawn and Quartered or
Spooks would contain tons of dirt without requiring the player to be incredibly precise with how it's used, as was the case in CCLP3? Here's one of those levels. Much of the dirt here is used purely for aesthetic effect, but it works. The spacious room at the top is also a welcome touch. There's something about a level that starts off in rather close quarters and then "opens up" into a grand room that's just so satisfying. The challenges around the edges of the level are fun and non-complicated. It's also welcome to see a room with fireballs that isn't meant to be a "monster manipulation" section. And how about that fire! I can't help but be reminded of CC1 levels like
Paranoia, Slide Step, and
Corridor when I see "arbitrary" fire like that. This level feels just like the CC of old.

Cell Swapper
(Markus): Some of the most clever puzzles from CC1 were those that involved navigation - though
Short Circuit
may not make anyone's CC1 top 10 list, I did appreciate how there was almost always a method to determine which path to take whenever a fork was encountered. Unlike that level, though, this one does allow for exploration and a map to be drawn before tackling the actual navigation when the toggle walls close. The result is a well-calibrated puzzle and a beautifully
matriced design. Just perfect for CCLP1.

Heat Wave (Daniel Bouwmeester): If you were to ask most veteran chipsters what they think of when they see a level that involves fire and water, as can be seen from the start of this level, they'd probably go for CC1's
Steam or the many ripoffs of it that have been made over the years. Thankfully, this level is its own animal: a fire maze with walker dodging. It's reasonable enough for the neophyte crowd, but it's a fun ride for players of all skill levels. It takes full advantage of fire being a "safe spot" against walkers, with its chip-snatching challenges reminiscent of the northwest room of
Nuts and Bolts. There are also walkers that occupy their own squares and exist only as pure obstacles, which is a neat touch as well. The water is used to great effect as the "barriers" for the player, but the way it's laid out makes it look like several rivers are flowing and criss-crossing throughout the map. Plus, for anyone out there concerned about optimization, it's not terribly difficult to achieve the optimal time here. All in all, an enjoyable and well-designed level.

Assassin (Rock Généreux): Who doesn't love a good teeth-evading level? CC1 brought us Victim and The Prisoner, but this level dares to be its own animal and succeeds. What makes this level work is that isn't neither too claustrophobic nor too open; there are defined paths to travel - and multiple ones at that, which make running away even more of a fun, panic-driven decision-making process. The structure of the level also includes the diagonal lines that are useful for trapping teeth while making one's way over to another area. This level is definitely one of my favorite dodging levels in recent memory, and I heartily recommend it for CCLP1.

A Puzzle
(Dave Varberg): This level combines the bottom water section of CCLP2's
Yet Another Puzzle
with the obstacle-course sokobans of CCLP3's
Yet Another Yet Another Puzzle
. But unlike either of those two levels, this one isn't overly difficult, though it may pose a challenge to new players. Veterans may be fooled by a mechanism
at the start of the level
that usually requires an additional block, but thankfully, the level actually is solvable with one block remaining. The objective is fairly obvious once the first room is cleared, and thankfully, the level can be explored fully without having to wade through lots of challenges before one knows what to do. The actual manipulation of the glider may be a bit tricky at first glance, but the level's design allows for careful study of just how far a bridge would need to be built in order to direct the glider to its final destination. Overall, this level exemplifies what one may term "simple complexity" quite brilliantly.

Straight Forward (Trevor Hedges): In racing games, there's a certain smooth "flow" to a track that has had a lot of thought put into its design. Trevor, who designs custom tracks for Mario Kart Wii, has obviously thought of that same "flow" in designing this CC level. It's only appropriate that I end this list with an epic campaign level.

Slight smile This one is fairly easy and is placed right after a bunch of tutorial levels in Trevor's custom set; however, I think it's better suited for CCLP1's 30s or 40s. (If I had my way, I'd use Chip56's
Chip Suey as the "tutorial review" level in CCLP1, providing it was voted highly.) One of the dangerous aspects of building a lengthy campaign level for CCLP1 is that the longer it is, and the more opportunities exist for failure, the more frustrating it can be to inexperienced players. This level is certainly long, but the tasks to perform are anything but frustrating. The linearity is refreshing, with a return to the start that just works.

So what are some of your favorites you're hoping to see in the final product? Sound off in the comments!

Attached Files
.jpg   blog-0128493001369190145.jpg (Size: 88.89 KB / Downloads: 197)
I really want to see Josh Lee's Frozen Labyrinth and Flareon
MY WEAPON SUCKS!
I want to see level like Trust Me and Magic Trick
My CC Newsgroup Account: daud2001

My Wikia Account: Daud2001
I haven't played anything like TRUST ME in voting packs yet, and it would be a good type of level to include.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
"Loose Pocket" features a similar "unreachable item" concept, albeit on a smaller scale, which (I think) would work perfectly for CCLP1. It doesn't necessarily have to appear in Trust Me's position.
a few by ajmiam I think are particularly great:

Combinations

Tree

Just Glide through this level

choose your own adventure

Periodic Lasers

I have others by other people I'll mention them later if I can remember. I remember quite a few in my playing of the voting packs I thought were "must haves" but there's so many levels now I can't remember them.

I would also agree Loose Pocket was a good simple one. It stumped me for a short time.

"Spumoni" by Chip56
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski