Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy
Please use this thread to provide feedback on level playability, fun, difficulty, busts, etc. from any of my levels.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about my 28-level CC2 custom set based on the first 28 levels of CC1.

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/466-jbonewocc/

Here's the designer notes:

01 HOARDER (based on LESSON ONE)

The concept is somewhat annoying at first, but makes an excellent lesson in inventory management. Getting the bonus just means planning ahead. Extra 1K bonus flag in bottom left corner.

02 PUSH AND PULL (based on LESSON TWO)

Again, the concept is annoying at first, but (as with FLEA MARKET) you start to get the hang of the hook after a bit.

03 ONE LESS'N BEFORE (based on LESSON THREE)

The trick here is a little tougher to duplicate than I'd like. The bonus is obtainable only by 'unfair' information.

04 THOUGHTFUL (based on LESSON FOUR)

I like the `set yourself up for success' theme here. I have NOT verified the bonus is obtainable on this one.

05 POOL OF THE ACCURSED (based on LESSON FIVE)

Keeping the blue teeth out of trouble on this one was so difficult that I had to give the player more options. The `surprise' in the lower room is unfair, but I like the concept.

06 SPIRIT PORTAL (based on LESSON SIX)

I'm really proud of this one. A tight little puzzle that fits perfectly into the walls of the original level. Very instructive on the ghost/yellow teleport interaction. Secret out-of-sight bonus available.

07 IF WALLS COULD SPEAK (based on LESSON SEVEN)

Neat concept made possible by the new thin walls.

08 SHE'S GOT A TICKET (based on LESSON EIGHT)

Simple RR level, more filler than anything, all trap routes should be visible in advance.

09 OL' STUNT BANDS (based on NUTS AND BOLTS)

Name is an anagram of course. Collection of unrelated concepts. I'm pretty happy with the whole northwest corner, particularly the creative one-way bouncing ball room (using a series of 12 x+20n repeaters) and the red teleport puzzle. Bonus puzzle looks more complex than it is.

10 PROBING ACTUALITY (based on BRUSHFIRE)

Easy and satisfying concept level in my opinion.

11 AROUND THE CORNER (based on TRINITY)

Another puzzle I'm really proud of. Spent several hours working on iterations of this. The walls of TRINITY make the upper right tank impossible to extract using the intended mechanism, hence the 2-chip requirement instead of 3-chip. However, you can get sneaky by quickly moving the yellow teleport while the tank is in the RR room and extract it that way for the full bonus.

12 HASHTAGS (based on HUNT)

Mostly a filler level. Not all bonus flags are currently achievable. Maybe someday I'll fix that portion.

13 GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (based on SOUTHPOLE)

My personal favorite level of the set. All fire routes are marked, and thus the only threat to a careful player is the clock. But training (pardon the pun) my brain to think in these terms definitely took a while.

14 TELEBLAST (based on TELEBLOCK)

My second favorite level, and probably the hardest of the set. Thinking in terms of three yellow teleports is pretty challenging, plus the whole bomb placement thing. I got the complete player experience here by constructing a level and figuring it out without knowing in advance it was even possible. One secret bonus flag exists.

15 FORCE ANXIETY (based on ELEMENTARY)

Pretty straightforward concept level. I have noticed a game bug while playing that lets you re-enter a pop-up wall with the no-green-key sign, that might allow a minor bust.

16 CAREENING (based on CELLBLOCKED)

I think this one is easy and quite fun. Bonus is obtainable, but note that the hook can't pull a sliding block perpendicuarly away from a wall. My method is to push the block into the wall instead, that seems to stop it in place and then you can pull it.

17 DEADLY SMILE (based on NICE DAY)

Concept level based on rapid toggling. Basically requires you to collect some of the chips while travelling in 3-step, and others while traveling in 9-step. The hint explains which toggle walls are in sync with which green chips.

18 DUNGEON QUEST (based on CASTLE MOAT)

Untimed level with plenty of extra bowling balls. Playable to the patient player, but also extremely unforgiving. I *think* it's fun, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. I haven't verified the bonus on this but it should be obtainable.

19 ROVER SWAPPER (based on DIGDIRT)

Speed boots for both player and rover makes the experience much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. I think it's the most fun level in the set, and pretty easy. I think all the bonuses are obtainable but I haven't verified.

20 MISBEHAVIOR (based on TOSSED SALAD)

I was going to turn TOSSED SALAD into the ultimate yellow teleport level, but then the starting puzzle turned out to be so difficult that I cordoned off the area and decided I'd ask no more of the player. The rest of the level contains bonus flags and is accessible by the same secret mechanism as I put in TELEBLAST and SPIRIT PORTAL.

21 INTERNET FREEZE (based on ICEBERG)

Pretty straightforward maze using wired blue teleports. It's impossible to get stuck but there are two `one way' sections which could be confusing. Secret bonus flags exist.

22 EVER PASSING MOMENT (based on FORCED ENTRY)

Whew! This one took forever both to design and to record. I originally had double the number of monsters but it was too difficult for my taste. I have not verified the bonuses on this level. Getting them will interrupt the monster pattern and require the player to make it back alive across a room full of chaos.

23 REDEMPTION LEVEL (based on BLOBNET)

Purely a bonus level, although the mechanism by which you automatically win the level is pretty cool. I covered it with canopies in-game, but it relies on a possible bug that allows the game to clone semi-functional copies of the player. You can't switch to them, and in this level you'd never know they existed, but when that timer hits zero it releases one right into the exit.

24 AUTOMATIC MINING MACHINE (based on OORTO GELD)

The mechanism on this level is really fun. A single yellow teleport shoots bowling balls in whichever direction the player is facing, and must be moved around the level to collect all the chips. The level might feel slightly long but I think the concept is worth it.

25 CONSTANT COMPANION (based on BLINK)

Pretty easy filler concept level. Working with the doppelganger to get the bonus is pretty fun, as you get to push and pull a dirt block down tight passageways and around corners. It's practically impossible to get stuck or die except by running out of time.

26 PROCESS IMPROVEMENT (based on CHCHCHIPS)

Three concept puzzles, one involving bowling balls on railroad and two involving electricity. Not too difficult and I think the concepts are pretty cool.

27 DETECTIVE STORY (based on GO WITH THE FLOW)

I really want to hear your feedback on this level. Is it fair or unfair? Easy or difficult? Fun or frustrating? I'm having a hard time gauging what the experience would feel like to the casual player.

28 FACES IN THE MIRROR (based on PING PONG)

The yellow tank mirrors your every move! This was a tough one to construct because the player can desync the yellow tank by pressing on a wall and then moving away. So, I made all the walls deadly.
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.

Messages In This Thread
Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy - by Joshua Bone - 31-May-2015, 9:07 PM