Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy
Thanks, Pulluxx.

The good news is I have access to CC2 again and have been working on the Walls project some more. The completionist in me would really LOVE to modify all 148 original levels, and maybe I will. But it's also been tough going lately and a huge time commitment, and some of the levels (e.g. the mazes and especially the thin wall mazes) just seem impossible to adapt sometimes. So I can only say it's an active project with no promises about the future. One of my design goals is to have (in general) a reverse difficulty curve so that the earlier levels contain most of the super-tough challenges, while the later levels turn into easier going. Then release two versions, one ordered in terms of difficulty and another in the original order.

I appreciate the feedback!

-DUNGEON QUEST is going to be significantly reworked in the future.
-MISBEHAVIOR and TELEBLAST are both puzzles that I built without an intended solution in mind, and thus got a pretty good feel for the player experience. They are definitely quite difficult! But I think they do a good job of testing the mostly uncharted waters of what yellow teleports are capable of.
-EVER PASSING MOMENT is one of those concepts that I would have made a lot shorter if I wasn't explicitly staying within the original level format. That being said, I don't think it's outrageous--there's room for reasonable error, and the safe way to play is just to follow the path all the way through.
-I might up the time limit on ROVER SWAPPER. I wish rovers were less annoying but I do feel like the speed boots help a lot.
-So, so gratifying to hear the feedback on DETECTIVE STORY! It's probably the level that I care most about in the set. Slight smile
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.

Messages In This Thread
Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy - by Joshua Bone - 26-Jul-2015, 9:15 AM