Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I already sent you a PM but I'll respond here too.

-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-

01 HOARDER

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I'd love to hear others weigh in on the concept. My own feeling is that it was fun to come up with a strategy for dropping un-useful boots out of the way. In each room I'd leave an item on each square including the element square and thus the center area starts to clear out by the end of the level.

04 THOUGHTFUL

The way I play this doesn't require any precise timing. My strategy involves sending maybe 4 bugs into the left side of the level and getting them to circle the two islands on that side, all the while blocking any new bugs that try to enter the area. Then I get the rest of the bugs to go into the lower room. The most important part here is ensuring none of them escape. Stand near the entrance to the room and get the bugs all together by blocking the NE corner of the passage around the big island with the tank cloner. You should be able to get them all circling the island, and then you're golden.

11 AROUND THE CORNER

I agree the learning curve is pretty unforgiving, but once the mechanic is understood isn't the solution rather methodical?

15 FORCE ANXIETY

I almost never make levels where you have to get the timing exactly right. On this one (as with FORCE PERIMETER) you can give yourself all the time in the world by backpedaling on the force floors while planning your next move.

17 DEADLY SMILE

Same idea as on 15, I would NEVER deliberately make a player suffer through that much precision grabbing. In this case the strategy is hinted at in the hint about the eyes being in sync with the chin, and the forehead with the smile. Running through the forehead will put you in a movement step that allows you to safely collect all the chips in the smile as long as you don't stop moving. Running through the chin will likewise do the same for the chips in the eyes. Thus it's actually a fairly easy level to execute, but maybe a little more of a puzzle than it seems.

19 ROVER SWAPPER

Yeah the waiting part is unfortunate, at least the rover has speed boots though, right? I wish there were more predictable monsters with inventories Unamused

20 MISBEHAVIOR

I really wish I could see your solution! While I had plenty of trouble with the teeth, I never had any issue with them picking up teleports the way I played it.

21 INTERNET FREEZE

I'll consider upping the time limit on the next release. It's not meant to be a time crunch Slight smile

27 DETECTIVE STORY

I really hope you keep working on this one! Right now, it sounds like you're on the wrong track. The solution involves a large dose of deception, but no hidden information. Feel free to PM if you want a more specific hint.

Thanks again, your feedback was very helpful Slight smile
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.

Messages In This Thread
Joshua Bone's level design feedback thread thingy - by Joshua Bone - 25-Jun-2015, 8:07 AM