Yahoo! Group message archive?
First off, I'm pretty surprised nobody seems to have mentioned it here yet, even though the Bit Busters Club already grabbed the levelsets from there, but anyways: Yahoo! Groups is basically turning into an e-mail hub as of December 14, and losing everything else.

This includes not just the levelsets, but features like the messages posted there going back years. It was a great resource when I wanted to research how CCLP2 came about way back at the turn of the century, for example.

So I'm wondering: is anyone archiving these, or anything else from there besides levelsets?
Check out my levelset: AndrewR1
Discuss it here: AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
(ignore this post - didn't read andy's message fully)
Most of the messages I remember were from a bot about new file uploads. I didn't know there was any useful information on solving CCLP2 levels.

I have all the messages stored offline; any useful info in them could probably get put in the wiki.

Anyway here's a Python script that can easily download all messages in a Yahoo group and put them in a text file: https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:11 hours ago, chipster1059 said:

Most of the messages I remember were from a bot about new file uploads. I didn't know there was any useful information on solving CCLP2 levels.

I have all the messages stored offline; any useful info in them could probably get put in the wiki.

Anyway here's a Python script that can easily download all messages in a Yahoo group and put them in a text file: https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver

I think you misread my post. I wasn't talking about solving levels - there's plenty of info out there for that anyways. I was talking about the history of CCLP2 itself, and how it was made. Not to mention the history of the CC community, which was very different back then... CCLP2 was just an example.

Thanks for the link, but I was thinking more of whether a public archive of the messages would be available, whether at bitbusters.club or elsewhere.

Some interesting facts: the earliest message was posted on the day the group was founded - February 28, 2000 - by Chuck Sommerville himself. (Would have been pretty cool if it were a day later...) And it seems to predate the newsgroup, as there's another message from Chuck announcing the creation of the newsgroup on March 1st, and suggesting the Yahoo! group be used for posting files and high scores, not discussion.

Despite that, the Yahoo! group was used quite heavily for discussion through late 2003 according to the Message History calendar on the main page, which spans the entire period of CCLP2's creation and more considering the first mention of it was Chuck's suggestion to create a community-approved levelset on April 30, 2001, possibly using the group's own polling functionality. Though according to the official voting announcement on August 5, 2001, after a few false starts at the group, it looks like it was actually done on an external site.

Posts to the group were all but terminated with Anders Kaseorg's announcement on November 10, 2003 that he was moderating them, and that further discussion belonged at the newsgroup, with the Yahoo! group only to be used for special announcements. Though I guess that eventually didn't apply to announcements of file uploads, as they resumed on a semi-regular basis in 2013 alongside sporadic "official" news, like the announcement of CCLP3 on September 2, 2006.

What is presumably the final post ever made to the group was a file upload announcement on November 17, which is very strange because Yahoo! supposedly removed the ability to post new content on October 28. Also, I'm pretty sure this upload was NOT archived at the Bit Busters site because the entire archive is dated October 18/19.

OK, I didn't intend for this post to become a semi-comprehensive history of the Yahoo! group, but... there you go CC historians. Enjoy.

And after writing all of this, I see that the Bit Busters put up a message archive today. Well, at least the first post wasn't pointless... <span class="ipsEmoji">?
Check out my levelset: AndrewR1
Discuss it here: AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Interesting. Although, every single message you linked brings up an error message; at least they're archived elsewhere.

And yes, the November 17 file has been archived at bitbusters.club. I got the email notification for it and sent it to Cowman for safekeeping on the site.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.