The Royal Society for Starting Things on Top of Other Things
Lately, I've been thinking it would be good to do a bugfix release of TW2. But before that, there are some issues to take of. Specifically, back in July I found on Atari Lynx that Chip can collect things he starts on if he doesn't move, and also that he can immediately exit the level if he starts on an exit. This breaks lots of custom levels, including a few official levels, which makes updating TW to emulate this a bit problematic. So, it would be good to reach a consensus on how best to handle this. I take the view that TW1 and TW2 should behave identically with respect to the game logic, which means that this ultimately depends on what Brian does with TW1.

But even before that, we need to understand the Atari Lynx behavior with respect to things (namely Chip, monsters, and blocks) starting on top of other things. I have done some investigation, and below is what I know.

So, then, what to do with Tile World? We could very well decide to make some changes but not others.

Exit

Chip can move off, or win instantly by staying put.

Collectibles

Chip can immediately move away without collecting. If Chip stays put, he collects the item (except, as found by Brian, that chips are not collected).

Blue key

Monsters can move off. They erase it if they can't move. Blocks also erase blue keys they start on.

Green, red, and blue buttons

Not activated.

Brown button

Activated if whatever is on top doesn't move.

Water

Drowns Chip, monsters, and blocks if they do not immediately move.

Fire

Does not kill Chip.

Bomb

Does not go off.

Dirt, fake blue wall

Cleared away if Chip doesn't move.

Real blue wall, appearing wall

No effect.

Chip socket

Removed by Chip if there are no mandatory chips and he doesn't move.

Force floor

Pushes in given direction. Chip can go sideways, but not backwards.

Chip can move any direction off a random force floor.

Ice, ice corner

Chip is trapped and cannot move even right away. Ice slide sound effect is playing. If on an ice corner, the drowning sound effect also continually plays.

Monsters are not affected by ice initially underneath them unless they're stuck there. (Fireballs can turn right, for example.) Ice corners do redirect them.

Blocks do not move, but can be pushed. Pushing a block on an ice corner can dislodge it, but Chip will die if he doesn't get out of the way.

Teleport

Chip is stuck teleporting around indefinitely.

Monsters ignore teleports under them unless they're stuck.

Blocks teleport around indefinitely. It is possible to rescue a block by pushing it. Chip can be killed by stepping in front of a teleport exit, even though the block doesn't leave the teleport sequence.

Clone machine

If Chip starts on a clone machine, he is stuck. However, if he pushes in a direction, and then the clone button is pressed, he will exit the clone machine in the direction he is facing and leave another Chip inside. Pressing the button again can create "extra" Chips, which cannot move voluntarily. If Chip enters a tile containing a stationary Chip, he automatically exits the other side unless you are pressing a different direction. Monsters and blocks cannot enter tiles containing an "extra" Chip. An extra Chip moving on ice or force floors can kill Chip.

Recessed wall

Pops up if Chip doesn't move.

Now for the big surprise. If a monster or block starts on top of a recessed wall, it doesn't cause the wall to pop up. However, if the entity stays on the recessed wall, ordinary walls are spontaneously created wherever Chip goes. It also isn't possible for Chip to collect things, activate buttons, exit the level, etc.; objects just turn into walls when you step on them. If the monster or block later leaves the recessed wall, this behavior stops.

(The behavior with teleports is strange. A teleport turned to wall can be brought back by going through another teleport that would cause you to exit from the first teleport. But you don't exit from the recreated teleport at the same time as its creation.)
Personally, I think that these should all be integrated in pedantic Lynx. As for regular Lynx, I think that most of these should be integrated, except those that would break too many levels (winning insantly, collecting an item instantly, blocks erasing blue keys they start on and probably also the recessed wall problem, if I understand it correctly).
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
These would be nice to see in pedantic Lynx.

I see no practical reason to change the existing TW Lynx rules at this point.

Trying to mimic Atari Lynx rules at the expense of modern players and levels sounds idealistic and even reckless.

Keep chipping!
Quote:Ice, ice corner

rap it, Eric!!

Also, I wouldn't want any changes to standard Lynx rules.

When are we getting CC2????
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
If a monster is stuck on a thief when you pick up a boot, do you lose the boot?
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Quote:If a monster is stuck on a thief when you pick up a boot, do you lose the boot?

Good question! The answer is no.