Steam TileWorld Android and Ubuntu
So, I'm about to start on a grand adventure. Seeing how it's me, this may take a long time.

However, I could use some input. I have an Android table (a couple years old) that I plan to root, then load Ubuntu onto. With luck (and time) I should have a working instance of Ubuntu. Then (according to various sources) I should be able to run Tile World and Steam on it.

And voila! I can play CC on my tablet!!!!!

So, the things that I have yet to figure out:

1. Can I find a root kit?

2. Is my tablet good enough to handle this?

3. Does Ubuntu have a virtual keyboard?

4. There is no four, but, you know (if you don't know then you haven't known me long enough).

So, any info?
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Unless the tablet has an x86 processor, you wont be able to run steam games natively.
You can run x86 programs with something like Qemu or exagear but they do take a performance hit.
My MSCC tileset: Felix Challenge My CC2 tileset

[Image: nlaNSog.png] [Image: wldHYRt.png]
I doubt very much that the processor is x86 (although I am going to find out). Steam has an Ubuntu version -- but I guess that's steam, not necessarily the "games" of steam.

Sounds like if I new QEMU I should use KVM as well.

But if I have to go to all that trouble, shouldn't I just emulate Windows instead?
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Exagear is apparently much faster then QEMU if you can install it on tablet ubuntu (shouldn't be much of a problem), you do have to use one or the other to run steam though because the Ubuntu version is really a x86 Ubuntu version.

In addition, to run windows games (like steam CC/CC2) you have to also use wine (works with exagear, much more complicated with QEMU).

You can install windows on QEMU but the performance is terrible even for win 9x, so good luck with that.

Of course, for Tile World you don't need any of that. You can just compile and run it since it's open source. Slight smile

Without recompiling it you'd have to emulate an x86 processor (QEMU or Exagear)
My MSCC tileset: Felix Challenge My CC2 tileset

[Image: nlaNSog.png] [Image: wldHYRt.png]
I tried running CC2 in Wine on Linux. It crashes frequently after you have died or solved a level. It never crashes while you are playing one, however.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Well so far I've gotten someone else to root it, downloaded the jdk and android sdk -- and now I'm stuck because windows won't recognize the tablet. Wrote to the manufacturer to see if they have a good USB driver.
oh so frustrating!

I wrote to tabletexpress and they said "it's too old we don't MAKE a driver". So then I loaded Ubuntu on a virtual machine on my laptop. UBUNTU CAN'T SEE IT EITHER.
and the saga continues...I downloaded the ubuntu package directly to the tablet....and the battery died. I don't have the charger with me either!
Just leave it plugged in to computer. It will slowly charge, but make sure tablet is off.
I don't think this tablet can USB charge (it's an older model).

I will be trying again on Friday or Saturday. It's charged now but I don't have it with me.