Can Chip's challenge be done in 3D in Minecraft ?
Hi everyone !!!

You LOVE Chip's challenge, but do you like Minecraft also ?

With all the mods that exist in this game, I am sure we can do a Chip's challenge in 3D, the square design of Minecraft particularly fit that project !

Here's some pixel art I made in Minecraft about Chip's !

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_55725.png]

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_157888.png]

To all, have a nice day !
Nice art!

I've definitely thought about a few options for putting CC in 3D. If you made a mod would you give Chip a 1st person or 3rd person view? How would the controls work?

Any plans for a mod or are you just throwing the idea out there?
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.
Yeah, I have to say I've considered this possibility before. With a proper mod, I'm sure it's doable. However, with Chip's Challenge being a tile-based game with "real-time turn-based" movement, it would be tricky to emulate the gameplay very accurately. That is to say, Minecraft has fluid, continuous movement while Chip's movement is discrete. He can't stop between tiles.

I guess if you could give the camera a bird's-eye view, it could look down upon a moving entity that's controlled by buttons or keys on the keyboard.

Can't say I have much knowledge of modding Minecraft, or I'd be all for this project!
Progress:

CC1, CC2, CCLP1, CCLP2, JBLP1, Pit of 100 Tiles: Complete!
CCLP3: (exact progress lost to the sands of time, will have to try again at some point)

CCLP4: 30/149
The Other 100 Tiles: 75/100
Jacques.dat: 109/986
Hello !

Thank you for the answers !

I think and think and think again how to do all that stuff.

I am not a good mod programmer but I have some ideas. My challenge is to set up a max of thing in the "Vanilla" Minecraft, but that's not a big deal if it ends by being a mod (especially, in the 1.8, it became easier).

Here's some explications about the encouter problems

-Third person view : it's absolutly possible with minecraft since the game offers the choice to the player to change the camera (in-view / third person view from behind / Third person views from in front) by pressing F5, and it's ok to block it to the "behind third view".

-Blocking Chip's is easy too, but we must put high walls around the level and respect the exact number of squares.I will try to design "Lesson one" and making some screenshots. We can also add a texture pack with the exact patterns of Chip's challenge (the one or the beautiful drawing proposed by some members of this site), changing all the appearance of minecraft.

-Chip's movement : There is 3D "tiles" in minecraft also. It's not that continuous, the hardest thing is to keep the rythm with the other creatures and things, but this can be done.

-About movement of creatures and being dead with the first contact with them, it's possible : giving just one heart of life to Chip, and for the movement, it can be planned with redstone and railways (putting a creature like a zombie or a skeleton in a minecart. Movement of things by pressing a button can be also done with redstone (tanks, walls) and pistons.

-Collecting things and open a door can be done with redstone and command blocks as well. Sliding is possible too on the ice, but must be modded. Stream force can be done too, but the shoes avoiding all their effects are quiet harder to done, I do not know which form we can give them.

BUT what I did not fix is the sokoban part of Chip's challenge : how making him pushing something (block), and also, how making those blocks "fall" and clear the water, it's sooo hard (by the way, making him die by touching the water is easy). With all the mods existing on minecraft, I did not see one with the sokoban aspect. In minecraft, there is no way to push any block in front of you, you just can click

At the end, I do not thing that this minecrafted Chip's can give to the player the same experience of that good old Chip's, but the inspiration can be funny !

(By the way sorry for my English full of mistakes that I cannot even see, I will try to learn it more to improve !)
Oh I forgot speaking about the controls, it's simple : the directions arrows can work, but also the minecraft commands : (w to move forward, s for behind, q for left and f for right...), and the mouse must be hold in the hand in the direction where you are looking at (right in front of you, below or above, you can also "turn your head" to watch the world you are in).
I made a quick (very very quick) design of the level one, beware, it's SOOOO hugly (thanks to minecraft graphics and my lake of imagination, we'll see the texture pack question later)

Here's some pictures of the disaster, to give you an idea of the basic thing ^^

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_206235.png]

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_86845.png]

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_61708.png]

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_255616.png]

[Image: tn_gallery_578_3_96288.png]
These are actually pretty helpful for envisioning what a 3rd person CC clone might look like. Plus, they're a welcome addition to ANY minecraft world Tongue
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.
Perhaps using Adventure Mode, the keys could be an axe, shovel, pick, and shears (with one durability each, except for whatever one is the green key) and the "locks" are whatever material the particular tool digs, like wood, stone, dirt and wool. The chip socket might be a villager which trades whatever item represents the chips for something to break the socket block.
I eat chips! *crunch crunch crunch*