Poll: What ruleset is easier to optimize?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
MS
57.14%
8 57.14%
Lynx
28.57%
4 28.57%
Undecided
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What ruleset is easier to optimize?
What ruleset do you think is easier to optimize? I say lynx just because of no boosting. What about you?
I assume you mean optimizing as in getting better time. Because boosting and all those other glitches help in that don't they?

Glitches are always can often be good for the players but bad for the designers.

Lynx doesn't have a lot of these glitches thus the player has to follow the intended rules more or less. This is better for the designer because busts are harder to find.

Although, I could see somebody finding that lynx's movements could be more exact. Though I think each version is equally challenging to get used to if you are used to the other one.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Lynx's movements are way more precise. Though the movement takes place in 1/4 increments across each square, time is divided into far more segments than just four when making a move. A level that requires every single move without delay can be incredibly frustrating.
If you mean optimize as in "Working out the most efficient route", then Lynx is probably a tiny bit easier most of the time due to it being a generally less complicated set of rules, although I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions (such as complicated block pushing routes where there are many opportunities for block slapping, say). If you mean optimize as in "Executing the most efficient route", then MS is easier by a mile unless a route involves something over the top (ridiculous boosting sequences, or the mouse, etc.) The precision in Lynx movement is great for casual play but often ridiculous for competitive play. Miika discusses the Lynx execution nuances and the differences between competing in both rulesets a bit in his CC1 Lynx LP.
I find it odd that you use check boxes for the poll. Wouldn't radio buttons make more sense?

I don't usually optimize, but i can say that the answer depends in large part on the type of level being optimized (e.g. lots of boosting versus lots of precise waits), so it is difficult to say on average.

Quote:Though the movement takes place in 1/4 increments across each square, time is divided into far more segments than just four when making a move.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Aren't the time divisions the same as the divisions in movement?
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
I voted 'undecided' because I wasn't sure which aspect of optimizing is meant.

If you talk about knowing that you have the absolute best route in theory, then MS.

If you talk about executing an average bold route, then Lynx.

If you talk about executing some of the most complicated routes, then MS (though I personally can't boost as well as others).

If you talk about getting a competitive time on a level, then it's pretty even between the two, but I might side with Lynx.

If you talk about getting to the top of a scoreboard, then Lynx Tongue

If you talk about executing any normal route, then I'd say PG in it's current form.
Quote:If you mean optimize as in...

Quote:I assume you mean optimizing as in...

Quote:If you talk about...d say PG in it's current form.

The reason why I wasn't being specific is because this thread's question is very broad (well duh, Lat). But the idea of it can be viewed in many ways, which sort of does make this an opinion question. Probably the most likely reason why people chose MS right away is because most people play in that ruleset more then Lynx, which helps them out a lot in terms of optimizing. But if you took the time and seperated the differences between rulesets, you'll most likely find that the one you've expected, might not be the case. Obviously thinking of a single level, for instance Spirals from CC1, you'll sort of see how Lynx will be more easier to optimize in instead of MS. The opposed could of said another CC1 level like Problems and the case would still be considered neutral. So, how do we determine what is easier/harder? Well, thinking about the challenges optimizers face, like James said, is one step. But I'd like to focus on a specific quote:

Quote:If you talk about getting a competitive time on a level, then it's pretty even between the two,...alk about executing any normal route, then I'd say PG in it's current form.

This response is exactly where this thread should be headed. But the question remains, what ruleset is easier to optimize?
Ok, if we are talking about just finding and scoring a competitive time, which I'll define as at least b-10, then I think Lynx is easier. In MS beginners are often slowed down by not boosting properly, whereas in Lynx the execution difficulties (related to timing) usually only happen on the very last second or two. Also, finding the best route in MS often requires more knowledge of glitches.
I think MS, but it probably because I'm not used with Lynx
My CC Newsgroup Account: daud2001

My Wikia Account: Daud2001