Why clone machine under anything?
A clone machine under anything is an "internationally known" way to make that thing a wall. But, why cloning machines? Can't you put an actual wall under anything and get the same effect? However, a cloning machine under anything is more common than a wall under anything Raised eyebrow.
Glider
First chipster ever reported to fill ON THE ROCKS with blocks.

HASHLEVELS.dat (49 CC1 levels)
If you are talking about invalid combinations in MS, no. Putting a wall under an object has an identical effect only to Chip. Monsters and blocks only react to the tile on the upper layer, so if the combination is, say, red key on wall, a monster can step onto the space, erasing the wall in the process.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
What random 8 said, although Chip can in fact completely ignore buried walls when the upper tile isn't transparent. This means that Chip can still win on exit/wall tiles, collect chips on chip/wall tiles, press buttons on button/wall tiles, open sockets on socket/wall tiles, etc. (the walls will reveal themselves after the chip and socket instances) Walls on the lower layer are usually very submissive tiles.
So that's why... Clone machines are not only good for cloning, then.
Glider
First chipster ever reported to fill ON THE ROCKS with blocks.

HASHLEVELS.dat (49 CC1 levels)