Roadcone Pack - Discussion
This is the official discussion thread for CCLP1 voting's Roadcone Pack. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and comments on the levels here!
Staff: I've noticed that the Roadcone pack is not available (yet) at the normal file location for the CCLP1 at the Yahoo Group. Has there been a change or what?

(I still have problems downloading from CC Zone, but have been able to do so at the Yahoo Group.)

Ian Wilson
I think level 34 "The Way" is unequal because you can kill the teeth in the fire in MS.

Also, it's possible to subvert the intended solutions in level 38 "Purification Filter" in many ways. Notably, the third room can be solved by just immediately releasing the monsters (at least in Lynx), and you can reach the exit without going north through the teleporter.
1 - Lesson 1 - Gets the concept but is very similar to the original.

2 - Green Rooms - A bit long and boring, but the aesthetic is cool.

3 - Doing Time - Probably too hard with the block that you have to push through the glider room. It doesn't really come intuitively here.

4 - The Chambers - Monotonous but beginner friendly. Some glider chaos but dying is to be expected.

5 - Dust Devils - Easy timing, nothing too serious. It's not excessively long either!

6 - Teleporting Madness I - Let's just say that this level lost at least 2 points from me for the one chip that does not follow the pattern. The hint tells you how to find the chips under the non-hot blocks, but then there is one that "bounces off the wall" and does not follow this pattern. How is a beginner supposed to figure this out? I sure didn't.

7 - Outsmart - Very clever solution here. I'm not sure that it would be beginner-friendly though.

8 - Sea Side - One of the best levels I've played in voting so far! The only thing that it might benefit from is a 999 time limit, as there is so much room for optimization but a beginner can play it safe using the blocks.

9 - Involuntary Act - Real creativity with the force floors here, and the one chip you can't get, and the boots at the end even though only the force boots are needed. My only concern would be the edge chips, which require precision timing to access.

10 - Hall of Flame - Nice and creative. Again my concern is beginner accessibiility, and these concepts may be just out of reach. I also can't really approve of the dodging at the end, but that's just me of course.

11 - Monster Mash - Great summary level for all the monsters, and not too difficult for beginner dodging.

12 - Toggle Madness - I really liked the maze in the first part, but the death traps in the second part seemed cruel in a non-CC1 like way.

13 - Sedna Suite III - I can't really judge this level on its own as it is meant to be part of a series, but on its own it might be short and pointless, although it could work as a fast-paced Knot like level.

14 - Live Bait - This level comes easily the second time through, and seems very beginner-friendly.

15 - Friend or Foe? - Very simple and easy. Might be a bit too short though, but it totally makes sense for CCLP1.

16 - Fourtify - The ball/key section may be a bit hard, otherwise it's great.

17 - Tetrahedron - Goes by very fast so I didn't quite get the point. A bit short and thin?

18 - Under a Perfect Angle - Fun dodging level, and also quite easy. Not easy on the eyes though. Be careful not to detach beginners' retinas.

19 - Protection Charm - Not sure I get the point? It's just invisible walls and chips, making you think you're in danger.

20 - Wormholes - awesome concept, but beginners might have trouble getting the partial post or figuring out how to move between rooms.

21 - Asterik's Asterix - A bit generic.

22 - Memory Test - Another one of these. A map is very helpful, and there were some levels like this in CC1, so I can imagine a beginner working it out.

23 - The Vault - I like the maze followed by the teeth, but both are pretty generic concepts. Beginner-friendly.

24 - Around the Bend - Simple concept, might work well on beginners.

25 - Winner's Circle - Amazingly simple and works well. A bit too button mashy maybe, as it seems you can win just by not really knowing what you are doing while pounding the keys.

26 - Symmetry - Some of the dodging here is a bit too tight and the bees are not super-easy on the eyes.

27 - Ballroom - Good all except for the ending. I really didn't like having to go back through the first part where one small move can mess you up, and it's not exactly beginner-friendly either.

28 - Guarded - Simple enough, but pretty generic itemswapper.

29 - Doubleblocked - Probably too hard, the concept makes sense but requires lots of mental leaps. Also easy to cook.

30 - Fire & Ice - A really long ice slide followed by a ridiculously easy fire section. Meh.

31 - Trafalgar Square - Pretty simple ball dodging and chip uncovering. A bit too simple/generic, probably.

32 - Timed Out - Nice and quick. Enjoyable and beginner-accessible I guess. The 3-wide balls might be a problem possibly.

33 - Famous Hampton Court Maze, UK - This level just gets a big question mark from me.

34 - The Way - Pretty much beginner-accessible, but the monster part is kind of weird because if a glider goes on the trap, you can't tell whether or not taking the chip will kill you because you can't see the trap under there.

35 - Back and Forward - 150 seconds for this, really? Otherwise I really like the itemswapping and it seems pretty beginner-friendly.

36 - Never a Bad Day - This actually works very well, although it is quick and simple.

37 - About Buttons - This level is very simple but with some odd tricks.

38 - Purification Filter - Amazing concept, very beginner-accessible, and the end is a bit sketchy but you can easily solve it with both the blocks and the available monsters. It is somewhat easy to accidentally die by monster, but it can't really be cooked by accident, which works really well.

39 - Wiper - very linear, not much to really do here other than follow forward.

40 - Switch Side - Amazing concept, but too long.

41 - Erta Prab - So much time standing on traps.

42 - Teknopathetic - Very cool idea here, I really liked the interlocking monster paths. Might not be super easy on a beginner's eyes though. This would be a good candidate for CCLP1 but a great candidate for CCLP4.

43 - As Easy As Pi - Pretty good, other than that weird guesswork thing, but it's pretty short.

44 - Chip - The Adventurer - Simple and generic.

45 - Intro: Linear Motion - Interesting way to introduce the linear monsters, I like it. Only problems are that some of the corridors with balls are a bit tight, and I'm not sure we should be having those walk-along things where you move one tile in between bounces, as it seems a bit more advanced for a beginner who might just try to run through.

46 - Freeze Frame - An ice maze, but even slower with the toggle sections.

47 - Columnar Speculation - Getting the ball in the right place is just incredibly frustrating here.

48 - Recursion - Simple but fast-paced level, works well.

49 - Four Corners - Super fast paced with the time limit, so I think it could use more time, other than that it works.

50 - Smile on Sundays - Interesting, I like the socket action going on here and the simple-puzzle rooms. Not sure what's with the hints because you need all the chips, but it works!
Quote:

6 - Teleporting Madness I - Let's just say that this level lost at least 2 points from me for the one chip that does not follow the pattern. The hint tells you how to find the chips under the non-hot blocks, but then there is one that "bounces off the wall" and does not follow this pattern. How is a beginner supposed to figure this out? I sure didn't.

The hint says starting with the top left chip go diagonally, which is still true even going from the 4th to the 5th chip....
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Tetrahedron - I don't get the hint. What is counterclockwise supposed to mean?

Doubleblocked: Thumbs up

Dustdevils - this one seems difficult at first but once you realize there are a few simple tricks you can use it's not really hard at all.

Hall of Flame-- idk how in the world do you get the bugs to trigger the appropriate buttons and get the timing right but it's way too hard for CCLP1.

Columnar Speculation -- I would have voted higher if you could always see where the ball is while pressing the green button.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Fun fact: this pack's 40th level, Switch Side, is the only level in the entire pool to be awarded 5s by all three of the pickiest voters among the 61 people voting. Slight smile
Quote:Fun fact: this pack's 40th level, Switch Side, is the only level in the entire pool to be awarded 5s by three of the pickiest voters among the 61 people voting. Slight smile
Which is funny because it's an awful level. wat
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Actually, it's an interesting variation on the traditional, somewhat boring concept of a toggle-wall maze. Slight smile
it's too large imo. Would be nice at half or 3/4 it's size. I wasn't one of those picky voters Tongue
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski