September 2012 survival competition
This is a new competition that we have not done before, but the goal is simple - survive as long as possible!

Winners will be determined by whoever lives the longest, and they will be granted points to the "chip cup". If there is an exact tie, the person who submitted first will win the tiebreaker.

You can find the level this should be played on here: http://cczone.invisi...ber-2012-level/

If a forum reward for participating in this is created, the participants will receive it. They will also recieve points to the Chip Cup

This should be played in the MS ruleset, for consistency.

To submit your attempt, you may either:

Post it on YouTube,

Or...

Email and attach your AVI submission to Lessinath at gmail dot com

List your username and this competition in the subject. Keep it short and simple, Something like: "September Survive Competition - Lessinath"

Due to the lateness in getting this email up and the lateness with which the competition was posted, submissions will be accepted until Friday, October 5th.

It was brought to my attention that it might do some good to link to recording software. I have not tried it myself, but I have been told good things about Camstudio: http://camstudio.en.softonic.com/

Results:

1. Markus with a time of 786 (alive for 213 seconds). Worth 15 "chip cup" points.

2. Miika with a time of 836 (alive for 163 seconds). Worth 12 "chip cup" points.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Sounds both interesting and promising. The only problem is I'm not sure how we'll accurately know who's lived the longest without a built-in timer clicking up, not down.

I'll get working on the Survivial CC Zone award too. Thumbs up
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
We have to count. I am not sure how else to do it.

999 - seconds left

The level is designed such that it is impossible to hit the time limit. In fact, I'm not even sure it's possible to hit 700.
Quote:This is a new competition that we have not done before, but the goal is simple - survive as long as possible!
Interesting idea for a new competition. Thumbs up

This month's level seems too simplistic though - I mean you just have to run around or find "safe" (relatively low fireball frequency) spots in an organized chaos. But maybe that's okay for a first run of this idea.

- Madhav.
Quote:Interesting idea for a new competition. Thumbs up

This month's level seems too simplistic though - I mean you just have to run around or find "safe" (relatively low fireball frequency) spots in an organized chaos. But maybe that's okay for a first run of this idea.

- Madhav.

Indeed, pretty much this is just a first field test of the concept. We can do more fancy stuff in the future. I personally thought of a level where you have to solve a puzzle in each section and move on to the next before the door sealed and the room filled with fireballs / bugs / walkers / something else nasty.
When's the deadline? Where do I send my submission?
And I skipped yet another competition.
Teeth  Teeth  Teeth  
Teeth  Chip Win  Teeth  
Teeth   Teeth  Teeth
For now, email them to Lessinath at gmail dot com . The deadline is Oct 1, but there will be a lot of forgiveness due to being late this time 'cause of my poor communication regarding where things needed to be sent.
Sent mine in. I liked the level. It wasn't too easy for me, since every attempt still took quite a bit of time. Even a bit of randomness would have made it very hard, so I think this was a fine level. (I say that because I would expect most levels like this to include randomness.) I enjoy how these competitions spawn totally new types of levels! This one doesn't even have an exit! (Though if the walls had been exits, it would have been easier to submit a tws, which might have been easier for some. Just thought of that right now.) Hopefully there'll be another one of these before the year is out Slight smile

As the deadline is really close, it probably doesn't matter if I share this here:

Yep. There actually have only been two submissions (counting yours) so far, which is kind of disappointing but not unexpected for the first time running a competition.

My question for people is this: If you were interested but unable to do this and submit it, why is that? For everyone, how can we improve this? I do agree making the walls exits would have been a good idea and is something that should be done in the future.