Roman Numeral Challenge
Quote:Then how do you express the number 4, if you can't have four in a row and you can't do the lower-before-higher trick?

::Scratches head::

4 = IV

The I before the V means you subtract one from 5, equaling four. Slight smile
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
...but you said earlier that you can't do that...

: /
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:...but you said earlier that you can't do that...

: /

No I didn't :O

On Josh's first post, I corrected myself after I mistook his numeral for an invalid one.

IV (4) - The I behind the V means that you subtract I from V (1 from 5) getting 4.

IX (9) - The I behind the X means you subtract I from X (1 from 10) and get 9.

VI (6) The I in front of the V means you add I onto V (1 + 5) and get 6.

XI (11) The I in front of the X means you add I onto X (1 + 10) and get 11.

Understand now? :O

Bronze / Silver / Gold
IIII is perfectly legal for 4.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
You got mine wrong Tongue

The last two are VI, not IV.

The number was 1666. Coincidentally, that was the year the great fire of London occurred :/
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:You got mine wrong Tongue

The last two are VI, not IV.

The number was 1666. Coincidentally, that was the year the great fire of London occurred :/

With so many replies at once I must've read yours wrong. Sorry Slight frown

Quote:IIII is perfectly legal for 4.

For tallies, yes. For Roman numerals, there is a rule that no more than three of the same numeral can be in a row.

So that's why 4 is VI, and 5 is V, and so on.

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Quote:On Josh's first post, I corrected myself after I mistook his numeral for an invalid one.

Ok, that was where the misunderstanding occurred...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:With so many replies at once I must've read yours wrong. Sorry Slight frown

For tallies, yes. For Roman numerals, there is a rule that no more than three of the same numeral can be in a row.

So that's why 4 is VI, and 5 is V, and so on.

As mentioned before, it's not a "rule". It's a convenience of modern usage. Find a clock with roman numerals on the face and it will probably have IIII on the front.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:As mentioned before, it's not a "rule". It's a convenience of modern usage. Find a clock with roman numerals on the face and it will probably have IIII on the front.

Whatever it is Tongue

Bronze / Silver / Gold
How do you write 0 in Roman?