What is your current avatar on CC Zone?
I also like to say "smock."
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
What I remember is that Calvin wanted to bring Hobbes out to dinner with the family, and his dad convinced him not to by saying "He might eat someone." Think that might have been my first exposure to the greatness.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Conversion III from Joe's CCLP1 Entries.
Read the sentence below this one.

You owe me $20.

Read the sentence above this one.
My avatar is Kirby from the Kirby series.
Quote:What I remember is that Calvin wanted to bring Hobbes out to dinner with the family, and his dad convinced him not to by saying "He might eat someone." Think that might have been my first exposure to the greatness.

Haha! I think when Calvin tells Hobbes what his dad said, Hobbes says something like, "That's true. I can never stay on a diet in a restaurant." Classic!

My first exposure to Calvin was the "series" (it was only two strips) when he decides to make a newspaper reporting the events around his household. He turns into a yellow journalist when it comes to his mom preparing dinner ("Knife-wielding mother hacks ichthyoid! Surburban family devours game in vicious ritual!"), and he turns his dad into the subject of a comic strip called "Dopey Dad." I wish Watterson had run further with that storyline.

After that, I read the strips where Calvin sends away for the Beanie, waits forever to get it, and then, when it finally arrives (I think we can all relate to this), it's a massive disappointment. But at least it came in a cool cardboard box!
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
The Beanie storyline is one of my absolute favorites. Not only because of what happens when Calvin gets it, but also because of the hilarious jabs at junk cereals and middle age. Wink
Watterson really nails advertisers, both in that series and in all of the strips that deal with Calvin's "Chewing" magazine.

My all-time favorite strips are still the snowmen ones, though. They're both impossibly immature and impossibly dead-on in their bashing of the art critic world.
Oh, I know - they are brilliant. Also, the series in which Calvin transmogrifies into a safe (I forget which it is, exactly - the one where he grows suddenly?) is one of my favorites as well.
It's the one where he's holding onto a balloon, and he flies so high that it pops, and as he's plummeting to his (presumed) demise, he remembers that his transmogrifying gun is in his pocket.

That is one of the very few strips that actually made me burst out into hysterics. I did not see the safe-transformation coming, and it was just so well timed and rendered...

It's not the funniest series, but I think possibly the cleverest is the one where he makes the duplicates, and in the end he gets rid of them by transmogrifying them into worms. Who'd've thought a cardboard box would have so many uses?

(And counterfeiting is only one of its many applications around the house!)
Ahhh, Calvin. I had forgotten about the duplicating machine.

I have the book "Something Under the Bed is Drooling" somewhere.

I had an orange and white beanie in college -- and my best friend had an identical one. However, mine was from a soccer team, and his was a Wheaties hat.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan