Poll: Are you religious?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
54.55%
18 54.55%
No
45.45%
15 45.45%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are You Religious?
Quote:But what makes an action good or bad? Some people would say that abortion is wrong. Some would say that it's not.

Heck, some people think that 9/11 was not a despicable action. We, of course, think that it was. But then we (as a community, as a whole) don't have quite the same revulsion when it's us doing the killing.

I remember the way people partied in the streets when Bin Laden was killed. I was sickened, not because I had any real sympathy for the man, but because I don't think that the death of another human being is ever anything to be celebrated. Was it despicable to kill him? Well, I think we'd be getting into a capital punishment argument here...let's just say that I don't believe in the death penalty under any circumstances.

ANY time you are hurting or repressing another population group short of an enemy trying to make war on you with bombs and tanks you have a serious problem. This includes discrimination.

I also think anyone who has gone out of their way to kill civillians as an act of war has forfieted their right to life. I'll shed no tears for bin ladin, thanks. Mind you, this thinking also extends to our own military.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Quote:I also think anyone who has gone out of their way to kill civillians as an act of war has forfieted their right to life. I'll shed no tears for bin ladin, thanks.

But if Bin Laden is truly sorry and asks your God for forgiveness, wouldn't he be allowed into heaven? Who knows, you might be insulting a man who God thinks is a good man and is in heaven right now.

I find it hard to take anyone who believes the bible word for word seriously. It is a book of poems, myths and stories. FFS, it says bats are birds! I doubt there is a single book that is completely factual.
Quote:But if Bin Laden is truly sorry and asks your God for forgiveness, wouldn't he be allowed into heaven? Who knows, you might be insulting a man who God thinks is a good man and is in heaven right now.

I find it hard to take anyone who believes the bible word for word seriously. It is a book of poems, myths and stories. FFS, it says bats are birds! I doubt there is a single book that is completely factual.

No, I do not believe he'd be forgiven for what he's done.

Also, you're right, it is not factual. That's why it irritates me so much when people act based on its word.

If I picked a random book and did the same thing and ended up doing something bad I'd be locked up in an assylum, not called religious.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Quote:ANY time you are hurting or repressing another population group short of an enemy trying to make war on you with bombs and tanks you have a serious problem. This includes discrimination.

Personally, I agree. Still, I have no illusions about this being some sort of inherent universal truth.

Quote:I also think anyone who has gone out of their way to kill civillians as an act of war has forfieted their right to life.

Perhaps...but I'm not convinced that this means that we should go out and kill them in return.

Quote:But if Bin Laden is truly sorry and asks your God for forgiveness, wouldn't he be allowed into heaven?

Yes, but then all the unconverted Jewish, atheist, etc. people who died in the 9/11 attacks will perish in Hell for eternity.

Quote:If I picked a random book and did the same thing and ended up doing something bad I'd be locked up in an assylum, not called religious.

...just like Jesus would have been considered totally nuts if he was alive now and talking about being the son of God.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Sadly, I don't have the patience (Read: haven't been taking my ADHD meds) to read all of the long posts in this thread, but I'll tell you what I have as my recently-updated "religious views" on Facebook:

Quote:I believe that every living thing is valuable and goes to Heaven, but that's about the extent of what I've figured out.
There's more to me than that, but that's where I stand in relation to Christian beliefs, and most of my offline friends are Catholic (because I go to a Catholic college), so that's what I wrote my "religious views" relative to for the purposes of Facebook.

If you want to know more specifics or where my views came from, add me as a friend on Facebook and PM me (be sure tell me how you know me or I won't accept).

EDIT: Another reason I don't have patience is because it's 4:11 AM where I live...
I'm all over the Interwebs! Just ask for my name on any given site, and if I'm there, I'll let you know!
Bumping an old chat just for the lolz.

I'm agnostic - for two reasons.
Firstly, I believe it is likely that there is some type of deity, whether it be one who currently controls the world or one who created the world and then left it be, however I do not believe in any specific Holy Book. I try to please God, even though I can't decide whether I believe in Him.

Secondly, I hate being classified as an atheist, as that gives the connotation of someone who goes around shouting an religious people "There is no God, the Bible is bulls**t!" I don't want to have the connotation that I don't like religious people - some of the nicest people I know are religious - my girlfriend went to Catholic school (even though she's agnostic now) - and some of the people I hate the most are atheists. I don't want to be classified as one of them.
Zommy (Richard Blaquière)

CLP1-fixed.dat - 40 levels

CLP2.dat - 30 levels, incomplete

RichardB1.dat (consisting exclusively of CLP1-fixed and CLP2 levels) - 58 levels, incomplete
BUMP!!! lolz

I personally classify myself as Atheist, as I am a non-believer. But I also strongly believe that a lot of Atheists are extremist and have given the "group" a bad reputation. My belief is that religion has done more good than it has done bad for the world, as it has taught many people throughout history moral principles to live by. However, it also causes social division (believers vs non-believers, Christian vs. Jewish, etc.) which leads to a wide range of conflict such as arguments and wars when people are unable to respect differences. As such I simply believe that all groups must be respected equally, and just like I wouldn't want a monotheist trying to force God on me, I won't try to call "BS" when someone else mentions God. This was something I struggled with before, and the dirty looks I got from it taught me that "calling BS" wouldn't be a good idea.

My main issue with believing in a God or higher power(s) is that it means I lose all of my personal privacy, especially at times in which I want to be alone. The idea of an "eye in the sky" watching my every move, even when I'm in a room alone with no security cameras, kind of creeps me out to be honest. Slight smile Feel free to disagree.
I agree completely with your first point - what I believe is that the Bible was written not only to answer questions about the world, but also to teach people how to be good - I mean, if you had the threat of spending eternity in hell with Satan, then you'd be much less inclined to beat that guy up.
Zommy (Richard Blaquière)

CLP1-fixed.dat - 40 levels

CLP2.dat - 30 levels, incomplete

RichardB1.dat (consisting exclusively of CLP1-fixed and CLP2 levels) - 58 levels, incomplete
Quote:My main issue with believing in a God or higher power(s) is that it means I lose all of my personal privacy, especially at times in which I want to be alone. The idea of an "eye in the sky" watching my every move, even when I'm in a room alone with no security cameras, kind of creeps me out to be honest.

The question of "does (a) God exist?" is entirely separate from "do I want (a) God to exist?". Just because you don't want there to be an "eye in the sky" doesn't mean that one does not exist.

[this is not a religious apologetic argument; I'm an atheist, as should be obvious from the previous pages, and often an anti-theist]
I self-identify as an atheist. I'd never tell you that in person unless you asked, or if it's relevant to the discussion. It's not so much an unwillingness to discuss the matter as it is simply my personality.

Quote:I personally classify myself as Atheist, as I am a non-believer. But I also strongly believe that a lot of Atheists are extremist and have given the "group" a bad reputation.

My sister recently showed me this: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/02/at...ody-else/. I don't like the title, though: it's like saying, "Congratulations, black people, your race is not inferior."

Quote:My belief is that religion has done more good than it has done bad for the world, as it has taught many people throughout history moral principles to live by.

I disagree. Most moral principles taught by religion actually predate religion (some of which can be found in other animals); the rest i generally find repulsive. I do believe religion did serve some purpose near the infancy of civilization, but that purpose is now obsolete.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote, though. Just because i don't like another person's beliefs doesn't mean i should pester that person with mine until (s)he converts (not to mention how hypocritical that would be).

And while we're bumping old discussions:

Quote:cience evolves, religious dogma (for the most part) does not.

Actually, religions do evolve, and it's fairly significant, to say the least. Most adherents either don't know or just don't want to admit it. Tongue
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam