Created by Tom Patten

Deadline: April 15th, 0:00 ET (GMT -5)

Link:

http://cczone.invisi...ter-march-2012/

Rules of the competition:

- Your TWS recording should be sent to: rocket_rg@msn.com

- This focuses on item collecting.

- Using keys on doors deducts points.

- It's not necessarily the fastest time that wins.

- Collecting specific items give your points.

- A global leaderboard will be used to judge the final winner.

- You MUST finish the level.

- The points are:

Green Key - 2 points

Red Key - 3 points

Yellow Key - 5 points

Blue Key - 10 points

Time bonus - 1 point for every 5 seconds left on the clock.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
You called the dat file CCZ-TT-0312.dat, now I've deleted my Time Trial file! xD

Do we still get points for time?
Points are given for time, and you MUST finish the level. I'll extend to April 15th since it's a monthly thing and Tom put the file up in mid-month.

Also I hope you guys noted: To be played in Lynx, and you're judged on the items you have at the end of the level. Using a key removes you points.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:You called the dat file CCZ-TT-0312.dat, now I've deleted my Time Trial file! xD

Yeah, that's fixed! Tongue
I feel like not giving any points for time sort of defeats the "tradeoff" nature of this competition which was demonstrated so brilliantly in last month's entry (are you willing to sacrifice time points to get more treasure?).

In this level, all you have to do is get everything. Using keys to open up the two doors isn't a sacrifice because the amount of points that the keys behind the doors are worth outweighs the amount of points lost while opening the doors.
Quote:I feel like not giving any points for time sort of defeats the "tradeoff" nature of this competition which was demonstrated so brilliantly in last month's entry (are you willing to sacrifice time points to get more treasure?).

In this level, all you have to do is get everything. Using keys to open up the two doors isn't a sacrifice because the amount of points that the keys behind the doors are worth outweighs the amount of points lost while opening the doors.

Yeah, I realise that you can collect everything. I think 1 point for every 5 seconds on the clock is the only way to lower the chances of a tie.
A lynx requirement. Interesting.

To help others out, my route is one move away from the next 5 second mark, so if you feel your route is quite good, I think you don't need to squeeze out every last possible trick from the book. (I'd like to see said book actually...) I won't work on the level any more either :-)

In the future, should we change this timing rule to be compared to the best time achieved and not so dependent on the actual time limit? This could be calculated by subtracting a point for every 5/10 seconds you are slower than the best time. So if you know your route is decent, but don't feel like getting all the boosting right,or randomness, you'd still be fine. I think it might serve well to distuinguish the TH from the TT like this. It would help take the focus off the time limit in this format, as long as the level itself has some sort of mechanism that doesn't allow for all the points to be collected at once.

I also recently posted some more thoughts on the competitions in a blog entry here on CC Zone, so check that out too :-)
Quote:In the future, should we change this timing rule to be compared to the best time achieved and not so dependent on the actual time limit? This could be calculated by subtracting a point for every 5/10 seconds you are slower than the best time. So if you know your route is decent, but don't feel like getting all the boosting right,or randomness, you'd still be fine. I think it might serve well to distuinguish the TH from the TT like this. It would help take the focus off the time limit in this format, as long as the level itself has some sort of mechanism that doesn't allow for all the points to be collected at once.

I also recently posted some more thoughts on the competitions in a blog entry here on CC Zone, so check that out too :-)

If 1 tenths of a second is possible to record, then yes. I think that will be better than the 5 second per point rule. Maybe the number of squares each player has touched could be an option perhaps?
Sounds like a good idea Slight smile

This competition should be more like a puzzle than a disguised time trial, which is what it has felt like the last 2 rounds. A level like JB's Vulcan or Pieguy's too many keys would be interesting.
Are we on for the time bonus or not?