Treasure Hunter

February 2012

Name of level: Milliardaire

To be played in MS

Time Limit: 60

Created by Rock Généreux

Deadline: March 1st, 0:00 ET (GMT -5)

Link:

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/download/44-treasurehuntercompetition-feb2012ccl/

Rules of the competition:

- Your AVI or TWS recording should be sent to me: rocket_rg@msn.com

- This focuses on item collecting.

- It's not necessarily the fastest time that wins.

- Collecting specific items give your points.

- A global leaderboard will be used to judge the final winner.

- The points are:

Chip - 1 point

Green Key - 2 points

Red Key - 3 points

Yellow Key - 5 points

Blue Key - 10 points

Fire Boots - 5 points

Suction Boots - 5 points

Ice Skates - 5 points

Flippers - 5 points

Completion Bonus - 20 points

On that note, have a sane competition, and may the best chipster win!

Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:Completion Bonus - 20 points

What exactly does this mean?
Quote:What exactly does this mean?

You get 20 points if you reach the exit tile.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
All right! This level looks a lot more interesting than the last one due to the fact that it's impossible to collect everything in one go. I might as well throw my current score (which I'm planning to improve) out there as a baseline for others: 60. Shouldn't be too hard to beat. I just have a couple of questions, though...

1) Are multiple submissions allowed? I.e. if we submit a solution and then get a better score, are we allowed to then submit the better solution?

2) For those of us who don't have Chip's Challenge and therefore cannot use ChipCap, do you have any recommendations on how we should record AVIs of our Tile World solutions that do not reach the exit? (Because TWS files only save solutions that do reach the exit.)
Quote:

You get 20 points if you reach the exit tile.

How can we submit a TWS if we don't reach the exit tile? IMHO, reaching the exit should be mandatory.
You can submit an AVI too of a timeout run (or any video file, actually), as it's part of the rules suggested for the new competition. IMO, you can't really win in Treasure Hunter if you don't reach the exit anyway (20 points is almost capital), so I don't see why one wouldn't complete it.

Quote:All right! This level looks a lot more interesting than the last one due to the fact that it's impossible to collect everything in one go. I might as well throw my current score (which I'm planning to improve) out there as a baseline for others: 60. Shouldn't be too hard to beat. I just have a couple of questions, though...

1) Are multiple submissions allowed? I.e. if we submit a solution and then get a better score, are we allowed to then submit the better solution?

2) For those of us who don't have Chip's Challenge and therefore cannot use ChipCap, do you have any recommendations on how we should record AVIs of our Tile World solutions that do not reach the exit? (Because TWS files only save solutions that do reach the exit.)

1) Absolutely. The latest submission I receive will be the one considered.

2) Any device works for me. I'd recommend an easy and simple software like Hypercam which would totally do the job.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:How can we submit a TWS if we don't reach the exit tile? IMHO, reaching the exit should be mandatory.

I realised that, that's why AVIs are allowed. The point is that item grabbing is the priority here over time. However, if you can do both you stand a higher chance of winning.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I'd like to suggest that opening sockets would also be worth 20 points. These are different from other items in the sense that you can't collect them immediately, and therefore could open up new design areas. (Though this functionality can already be mimicked with stuff behind sockets, just having the socket be worth something conserves space and a lot of time too.)

And I think solving the level doesn't need to score points, but should be mandatory, as this is the whole point of the game normally. (This month I don't think it matters, as it's faster to go to the exit than collect 20 extra chips.) It also helps people submitting tws's. I remember when the only reason I didn't enter into some competitions was because I couldn't record avis. A level can always contain more exits, if the designer feels like the end of the level should be more open ended.

-Miika
That's another consideration. Always open for new ideas to make this new competition better.
My YouTube Channel
The only reason I was bringing up all this about not reaching the exit was because I was concerned it wasn't possible to both collect the stash of 4 blue keys (worth 40 points) and make it to the exit (worth half as much) in only 60 seconds. I just managed to accomplish this with 1 second left, so getting a recording of a run that does not reach the exit probably won't be necessary (for this month's competition anyway) because a non-exiting run probably won't be optimal.

I'm all in favor of making reaching the exit mandatory in future months for convenience of submitting solutions as long as levels are designed with this rule in mind (ie, no big point bonanzas that can't be collected because it takes too long to get them and then exit).