Poll: Of the options, which sort of maze level do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Just find a way out.
33.33%
5 33.33%
Visit at least all the intersections to collect chips before exiting.
26.67%
4 26.67%
Visit all the corridors gathering chips before exiting.
40.00%
6 40.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Maze Design Preference
So I was making a maze and wound up with three options for how the final level could look.
  • Version A was just the frame of the maze and all you needed to do was find the exit. It's a large maze, so this is not a terrible choice.
  • Version B had some chips in four of the key intersections. Without them, only three needed to be visited.
  • Version C had more chips along the corridors. It makes the level pretty long, but without them some of the areas of the level feel redundant.
Which choice would you make? Or would you prefer an even more complicate Version D that incorporates other elements from the game into the maze as well?

While on the subject, I also thought of that second question about things people might not like about mazes to gauge which is the least liked.
Just finding the exit seems too simple. Visiting all the corridors seems too tedious. Therefore, I generally prefer mazes that fall in the B category.

I generally don't like ice mazes. Since the floor tiles are generally far from each other, there is a lot of guesswork involved. Putting monsters in the maze can make it better, but if there are too many of them, it doesn't feel like a maze anymore. I don't mind revisiting some places because at least you know where the items are.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
I think my biggest issue with CC mazes is that a lot of them don't really have dead ends because you have to visit all of them anyway to pick up something (usually a chip), but i really don't know. I'm stuck trying to reconcile how i loved the maze books i had as a kid but hated (and still dislike) most of the mazes in CC1.

As for ice mazes, i generally don't see them as guesswork, but as memory challenges. I actually don't mind any of those properties of mazes, so i had difficulty deciding when i got an error message saying i had to answer all the questions. :/
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Thanks guys for the replies! Was interesting to hear different thoughts on something as simple as mazes.

I think I am going with the second option for this particular design. The last option currently has more votes, but it would just require sooo much walking around the level that I can't do it. Maybe I could have 50% of the chips required. hmmm... I'd post a picture of the level but it would spoil the fun, so just wait a few years and you might see the level Tongue