May 2013 Time Trial - A Non-Creative Revisit
Hey you guys! It's time for another Time Trial! Yay! A couple months back we revisited some levels from last year that were made for the create competitions, and this time we are revisiting some levels from another competition. So yes, the title of the competition does not actually refer to a quality of the levels, but as a contrast between the competition types.

Here are the two levels, made by Lessinath:

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/171-november-2012-time-trial-levels/

You'll notice that these levels are the ones used for last year's November Time Trial, but that the results for that competition have not yet been announced, as we "received depressingly few submissions". Hopefully this will prove to be a chance for these levels to find a new audience, and maybe even attract a couple of those people who might have worked on the levels half a year ago (whether they submitted routes or not). As many people can be busy at this time of the year, and because it looks like there might not be a time trial next month, I'm pushing the deadline well into June.

Enjoy!

Details:

1) The person with the highest combined remaining time on the two levels wins!

2) You may enter in either Lynx or MS, with the latter being the primary rules, meaning that any Lynx solution times that exceed the best MS solution time will be considered equal to that MS time, but otherwise all the times will be compared together in one category. There may be a tie in the overall score.

3) Please send your solutions (either the tws file or avis) to CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com, or to my own email valeosote at hotmail dot com. Do not post your solutions or solution times or share them with others. All times will be published at the same time, and the quickest solutions will eventually be released. I will strive to respond to your message by a confirmation that your score has been recorded.

4) The levels shouldn't be too hard to solve. Don't be afraid to send in your solutions even if you sense they aren't perfect, and simple casual solutions are also appreciated. You may enter if you solve at least one of the levels, but solving more will obviously place higher. The levels have time limits of 700 and 200, which give a fair relative estimate of the times they take to solve, but even so the first one is modular in the sense that you can go and practice any room by itself before you actually go for a speed run.

5) This is part of the 2013 season of the Chip Cup. Winner will be awarded 15 points, second place 12, third 10 points, and so on. If you win a competition here for the first time, you receive the "You're Winner!" award. All participants who haven't participated in a time trial earlier receive the "Run, Chip, Run" award. If your name is Andrew, I will send you an e-card.

6) Submission deadline is pushed back a bit this time to June 16th where you live. I will judge the submissions without warning the following week but will accept submissions until I do. If you need a more specific time, you can always ask. To avoid losing on time (it is a time trial after all), get your solutions in early rather than later! You can send in improvements while the competitions is running, so there is no downside to sending in something you know might not be your best effort if you had forever to work on it.

Report any problems or ask any questions here! Have fun! Glider

-Miika
Maybe it's a bit late, but can I suggest a change to the first level? In MS, getting past the 11,30 teleport requires an extremely obscure MS bug.

Edit: in fact, as far as I can tell TW does not emulate this bug properly.
Yeah, I think I won't edit the levels any longer at this point. I believe that bug was intended by Lessinath, and it is quite straightforward if you play the level up to that point and just go through the teleport. (I'm assuming there is only one real way to get past there.) I guess it might be confusing if just looking at the map.

oh, now just noticed the edit above. Why don't I read the post I'm replying to? Ok, so I have no clue how this bug works or how it's supposed to work. My experience with it is that the level works in TW and doesn't kill Chip. Hopefully there is not some obscure way to save tons of time if you happen to play in MSCC. If this is stopping people from participating, I'll reconsider the edit and then extend the deadline. Maybe. Most likely not. Any other suggestions?
I can't actually run MS on my computer, so I'm basing this on some decompiled code I got from CCExplore a long time ago. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Whether Chip survives depends on the last slipping direction of Chip. If, for example, Chip last slid north, when he enters the teleport he will slide south into the bomb and die. In TW, Chip survives regardless of his last slipping direction. So theoretically better scores may be possible in TW than MS, and players unaware of the bug are likely to execute a route in TW that doesn't work in MS. Hopefully I'm not giving anything away, but I have yet to find such a route.
Thanks for the explanation. If someone is willing to test the effect in MSCC it would be good to confirm the outcome. We will be more careful in the future when using levels that possibly utilize odd stuff like this. For this occasion I'll rule that any solution in Tile World will be accepted. We haven't had any players enter with avis from MSCC for some time, but if someone does this time, there seems to be a tiny chance that they are at a disadvantage, so apologies to all these imaginary people in advance.
I'm guessing it's this glitch?

I've tested the level in MSCC and MS TW, and pieguy is correct on all of it, as far as i can tell.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
I've played this level many times, and I always died on a bomb when I enter the teleport at (11, 30) in MSCC, because of that glitch. Is it solvable in MSCC? Is there any other solutions for this level? Or should I play this on TW?

I have the AVI for it, if you want to take a look, Miika.
Reynaldi Judianto Angry Unamused Fail
When is this competition ending, by the way?
Rey, I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't mind looking at the avi if you have one. From the description of the bug from above, I assumed it was solvable in MSCC, but have not verified that at all. Would it be possible for you to play it in TW? Sorry again for the inconvenience and frustration.

The deadline is June 16th where you live. I'm planning on judging the competition at about 10 am on Monday June 17th GMT+2, so any solutions sent in before that should be fine. I didn't highlight the deadline in the first post too much, just to see if I could trick anyone to send in their solutions before the end of May. Currently we have more entrants than the first time these levels were used.
It is solvable in MSCC. As Pieguy tried to explain earlier, you have to make sure your last sliding direction is East or West before entering the teleport. One way is to use the east force floor at [2,5] before grabbing the last suction boots.

Also, beware of cross-checking on the ice slide.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam