April 2013 Survival Competition
Here are J.B.'s and random 8's videos of the second level, Underground Fortress
:

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo " contenteditable="false">

I had to split these into several posts, because of a limit on how many videos I can link to per post.
And finally JB's video of the third level, Dance of Death
:

And my own submission which includes all three levels and some fantawesome commentary:

It's interesting to me to compare the approaches in these videos. For the first one, J.B. used a ram to create a safe spot by the eastern wall, whereas random 8 and I rammed the cloner to stop the blocks. Niether works in lynx. In my video, I was afraid to roam around but now I realize and suspect all the blocks were possibly destroyed on bombs or otherwise had stopped, and I could have gone exploring where they ended up at. For the second video, J.B. and random 8 used three blocks to secure the same area, while I used one block and some boosting to go in a different place. My approach would not have worked in lynx. The picture below shows another approach to this level. For the third level, J.B. and I used the same type of arrangement for the blocks, but in different places. This would also theoretically work in lynx, but I tried it a few times and it felt like a lot of work to get it set up correctly.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_05_2013/post-19-0-16630400-1369848596.jpg" data-fileid="8">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_05_2013/post-19-0-16630400-1369848596_thumb.jpg[/img]</a>

That's it for today. Or did I still have some competition and results to announce? Slight smile

-Miika

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:

That's it for today. Or did I still have some competition and results to announce? Slight smile

-Miika

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Slight smile
I haven't been following this contest real closely but was it intended that there were safe spots? Or did they bust the levels?

I played them a little and I'll say it was fun to play them "normally" or just dodge stuff for as long as I could. Those were some ingenious designs!
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
I guess I can finally post my progress...I managed a perfect run, but my recording software choked trying to encode the 50 minute video. So I gave up, assuming at best I would tie anyway (and it looks like I was right). On the first level I rammed at (11, 1). In retrospect, (7, 1) is a much better choice. The second level I did the same as J.B, and on the third I put blocks at (7, 13), (8, 14), (8, 11), and (10, 13).
Too bad, pieguy. We were wondering about it, since you had expressed awareness of the competition already. Had you entered, you would also have qualified for the award bearing your name. Maybe in the future we can consider allowing for submissions using screenshots and an explanation, provided that the level can be explained in that way.
I spent more time than I care to admit watching those videos.

Quote:I haven't been following this contest real closely but was it intended that there were safe spots? Or did they bust the levels?

I played them a little and I'll say it was fun to play them "normally" or just dodge stuff for as long as I could. Those were some ingenious designs!

They were busted. I ended up having to scramble and design these levels very quickly at the last moment and with little testing because I lost the original levels I had designed, which did not have busts.

Quote:I guess I can finally post my progress...I managed a perfect run, but my recording software choked trying to encode the 50 minute video. So I gave up, assuming at best I would tie anyway (and it looks like I was right). On the first level I rammed at (11, 1). In retrospect, (7, 1) is a much better choice. The second level I did the same as J.B, and on the third I put blocks at (7, 13), (8, 14), (8, 11), and (10, 13).

Btw, this is a shame. I was greatly looking foward to your submission. It will be held in the future, but I can't say when. Probably later on in the CCLP1 voting cycle at this rate, when there are fewer levels to vote on to eat your time.

Quote:Too bad, pieguy. We were wondering about it, since you had expressed awareness of the competition already. Had you entered, you would also have qualified for the award bearing your name. Maybe in the future we can consider allowing for submissions using screenshots and an explanation, provided that the level can be explained in that way.

I think this is an acceptable idea, but it would need to be very detailed.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!