April 2013 Survival Competition
This is a competition where the goal is simple - survive as long as possible!

Winners will be determined by whoever lives the longest, and they will be granted points to the "chip cup". If there is an exact tie, the person who submitted first will win the tiebreaker. This is subject to change.

Do feel free to find creative solutions to the levels as presented to you.

You can find the levels this should be played on here: http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/226-april-2013-survival-competition-levels/

If a forum reward for participating in this is created, the participants will receive it. They will also receive points to the Chip Cup

This should be played in the MS ruleset, for consistency. The first level is very random, the second level has some randomness and the third has no randomness at all.

To submit your attempt, you may either:

Post it on YouTube or some other trustworthy video hosting site*,

Or...

Email and attach your AVI submission to cczonenextlevel at gmail dot com
List your username and this competition in the subject. Keep it short and simple, Something like: "April 2013 Survive Competition - Lessinath"

Submissions will be closed on May 4th, 2013 allowing 32 days to complete this competition.

The last time this was hosted, it was brought to my attention that it might do some good to link to recording software. I have not tried it myself, but I have been told good things about Camstudio: http://camstudio.en.softonic.com/

*If you upload it to YouTube, you should be able to set the video as private in such a way that people need the link to view it and email that link to the email listed above. After submissions are closed, you can make the video public.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
My personal opinion is that the first level there is pure uninhibited evil.
Is there a reason why the second and third levels are untimed?

Also, I'm not sure I'd recommend sharing solutions on YouTube, especially if we're being encouraged to be creative. Slight smile
Quote:Is there a reason why the second and third levels are untimed?

Also, I'm not sure I'd recommend sharing solutions on YouTube, especially if we're being encouraged to be creative. Slight smile

Yes, it's because I forgot to time them. Confused Thanks for mentioning it. It should be fixed now. No other changes were made so you can just add 999 time to those levels if you got that first version.

As for uploading a video, it'd be good to set the video to private until the competition is closed.
Yeah I see no problem with making things private. Let's try it out.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
A survival competition that disqualifies you for surviving?

It seems odd that you disallow us from forming "safe areas", yet on level 2 we start in one! Furthermore, there's a decent chance that the B/C bug will make a teeth clone backwards and subsequently block up the entire cloning mechanism, making indefinite survival trivial.

On level 3 it is quite easy to survive forever, and hard to tell where the line is between intelligent creature redirection and cheating. For example, if I leave just one teeth alive and lead it around, I'm technically not "in no danger", but it hardly seems like an acceptable solution.
Quote:Furthermore, there's a decent chance that the B/C bug will make a teeth clone backwards and subsequently block up the entire cloning mechanism, making indefinite survival trivial.

I believe this is what happened on my run for this level that I just submitted (though I blocked up the monsters - I'm not sure if this what Lessinath was prohibiting exactly) - only a handful of monsters actually cloned, and the area at the start didn't actually fill up completely within 999 seconds.

Personally, I think any means of survival should be acceptable. Slight smile
Let's hear L on that topic. It seemed also weird to me.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
I am very confused as well.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Currently it is possible to survive 999+ seconds on each of the levels. Some clarification on what is acceptable or some sort of update looks like it could help. I think the concepts for the levels are fine, but some loopholes should be addressed, which is not surprising since we haven't made levels like these. Hopefully there will be more dodging and less waiting.