What song are you listening to right now?
Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

A beautiful piece of work again, with such subtle BASS and guitar touches, a passionate vocal performance, and mysterious yet heartfelt lyrics about the comfort true, mutual love brings in our darkest times. "Awake" (1994) is an essential album for me; Zane, you need this Thumbs up
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Abiogenesis
Quote:Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

A beautiful piece of work again, with such subtle BASS and guitar touches, a passionate vocal performance, and mysterious yet heartfelt lyrics about the comfort true, mutual love brings in our darkest times. "Awake" (1994) is an essential album for me; Zane, you need this Thumbs up

Dream Theater Heart
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold

This album, of the same name, is becoming extremely personal to me, as it is reflecting much of what I have been through in the past months and what I hope to accomplish with the rest of my life before moving onwards. One can interpret the album title as undergoing a rebirth: personal, spiritual or philosophical. This piece is probably the heaviest on the album, most definitely metal compared to the less heavy pieces I've previously posted. The vocalist is extremely talented and sings his throat out, rallying against the darkness that has overtaken the world; the guitar work, from sludgy riffs to crashing chords, a blistering solo at 3:52, and a fragile, hopeful coda at 5:37, is dynamic, crunchy and exciting; the drummer's lumbering hands and agile fills crash amidst the ruins in this battle for the future. Perhaps this explains the kind of music I appreciate the most; give this song a spin whoever you are. Images of Eden are inspired by forces I cannot comprehend.
Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond. I cannot make any case for this song as an artistic statement, nor can I pretend that it's anything other than a fun listen. But fun listens are sometimes all you need...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Neil Diamond is hugely successful, but when your greatest lyrics are from I'm a Believer -- you're no Bruce Cockburn (if you don't know who that is, insert Bob Dylan).
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Neil writes great pop lyrics in the sense that they're highly singable and perfectly complement his voice and melodies. If you're looking for meaning...well, that's what Townes Van Zandt and Dylan and Leonard Cohen are for.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold

Despite lacking guitars, BASS or drums, this song is an unforgettable ride. The processed piano scales, including some dissonances, combine with the desolate wind and electronic ambience and especially the torturous vocals for a despairingly bleak finish to a dystopian concept album for the ages. The sheer intensity and power the singer enlivens from 3:05 must be heard, and he's also impressive at softly fading away over the last minute. I'm buying this CD as soon as I can find another nice price on it, which I missed beforehand because I had another source for this album.
Sorry -- Art of Dying

Just when I think there's nothing new that I will like, someone surprises me Smiley. This is my first exposure to this band, while I gather they've existed for a while anyway. Somewhere between Shinedown and Seether, the simple strains of this pained anthem fit just right into my attitude. Now I'll have to explore what else this band has to offer -- hopefully a lot.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan