CCLP Contributor award
I'd say it would be tough to try to make a lot of levels compatible for Lynx that are out there. Tongue
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Tough, but in some cases fun. The tricky ones are the ones that depend on MS-only "tricks", like placing a key on top of water.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:Tough, but in some cases fun. The tricky ones are the ones that depend on MS-only "tricks", like placing a key on top of water.

Then just swap the tiles with something similar? The biggest problem are the ones where the floors are replaced with bombs, water, or anything else.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I think a better rule of thumb for tile combinations would have been to program the game such that as long as parts of both tiles are visible, the combination is valid. This seemed to be the case for CC2.
Quote:I think a better rule of thumb for tile combinations would have been to program the game such that as long as parts of both tiles are visible, the combination is valid. This seemed to be the case for CC2.

Could the Lynx version of Tile World be programmed like that, or must it stick with the rules?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I think it should "stick with the rules" as much as possible - I believe the only reason why the "pedantic" features weren't implemented is because they didn't change anything about the gameplay significantly and simply placed more restrictions on level design.
We got into that whole discussion last year. Since TW is open source, anyone with the desire could make a whole new version with whatever changes he wanted. If it was written in VB I think I would take a crack at it. But unfortunately C gives me hives.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to write C" -- Tom Thompson (former coworker of mine).
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:I believe the only reason why the "pedantic" features weren't implemented is because they didn't change anything about the gameplay significantly and simply placed more restrictions on level design.

I still don't understand why you can't connect teleports the way you can clone machines...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:I still don't understand why you can't connect teleports the way you can clone machines...

That'd be cool, but that would make it a different game.

The only games of the time period I can compare this to are Gauntlet (where the teleport took you to the nearest open teleport -- and randomly chose between ones that tied) and Defender (where hyperspace took you to a random location.) In that sense, CC made more sense.
Doesn't allowing odd button connections for machines also make for a different game (if only because you don't have to waste space the way you might otherwise have to)? And of course, it's not like LYNX and MS are exactly the same game, strictly speaking. Slight smile
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.