CCLP1 Deadline has been extended!
Quote:Ida, there is nothing to making a TWS. You put the .DAT file in the Tile World .DAT folder, create a .DAC file using your levelset editor if it has that feature, or if not writing it using your favorite text program, one for Lynx and one for MS, then solve the level in Tile World. There, you've just created a TWS. You just need to copy that file out of where it hides in the solutions folder and zip it up with your levelset and your DAC files.

Sorry Michael, but that sounded _more_ complicated than I thought. (Which editors make DAC files then?)

Quote: TWS files are not large. They're on the order of half the size or so of the DAT file they are paired with, so having an MS or Lynx one will only double the size.

Oh, that's not large. I'm guessing this means that a TWS isn't a video file (as I thought) but more like a text file with instructions to Tile World, which you would need to watch this solution? Sorry for being so uninformed Slight smile
Essentially, yes, a TWS just records your movement. When you play it back, the game is playing the level for you using that recorded movement. That's why the solution fails if the level has changed.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Ida, I guess it really isn't as easy as I thought. CCEdit, the only editor I've ever used because it is cross-platform and works well enough for me, allows you to save a dac file for your set, which I never used until now, I just noticed that it only allows you to save one for MS or for Lynx, not both. It's pretty strange. I always wrote them by hand by just copying the one that I found first, the one that came with CCLP3, until I got fed up and wrote a very simple program that does it for me. If you use this program it's a simple matter of running it on the levelset, and it'll create dac files for you. The rest of the process is not hard. Tile World has "data" and "sets" folders for you, just put things in the right place.

The TWS files just encodes a bunch of "at time X, character moves Y" for level solutions, as I understand it.
Quote:The TWS files just encodes a bunch of "at time X, character moves Y" for level solutions, as I understand it.

It also encodes data about random force floor directions as well as blob/walker movements.
The CC Wiki is your friend, people! B)

http://chipschallenge.wikia.com/wiki/TWS

And:-

http://www.pillowpc2001.net/cclp3/Lynx/playing.html#dac

- Madhav.
Dang, Chip's Controls looks a good bit like what I was planning, but designed for the old MSCC. I know that at least in my case though, depending on VB is not possible, and now I want to add a TWS merging feature like the one that Miika brought up in the thread about combining solutions and levels.

It would be more useful if Tile World 2 had these features. It really ought to be able to generate and control .dac files from inside Tile World, either automatically or via some menu option. Ideally a user would not have to fiddle with dac files at all, they'd be entirely configured through TW. If Madhav is interested in seeing them added to TW2 I'd be willing to write up some code for them.
Automatic .dac file creation is planned for.

(I'd love to get rid of them altogether, but after taking several things into consideration, that just might be the most convenient option for now.)

- Madhav.
Can we submit all the CCLP1 submitted levels in a ZIP file featuring the DAC, DAT, and CCL files?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
you know it would be pretty easy to write a dac creator, except that i don't have any tools that work with win 7
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I don't see why it isn't that hard to set Lynx and MS within Tile World, rather than in .dac files. Maybe "Force Lynx" or "Force MS" options would do the job?