March 2012 Create Competition
Quote:I'm planning to upload a set containing all levels that I made for Create Competitions or for other websites.

Does anybody have the specifications for the July and December 2011 Create Competitions? Tyler? I can't find them on the archive...

- Madhav.
I was wondering about the July one myself. I remember the discussion, but it doesn't seem to be in the archives, and there are no results either. Do you know who else made entries for it?

For December:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

December 2011

Avoid getting chips

: create a level in which if you get all of the chips required, the level is unsolvable. An example of this concept can be seen in CCLP3 #34 (Motion Blur) or MikeL2 #175 (No Chips). Both of those levels use the same device to trap Chip if he collects all the chips, but you can feel free to be more creative. This is an example:

[Image: construct.png]

Avoid getting other items?

: your submission will be deemed better if you add in other items that are normally helpful that you must avoid.
We should probably break this off into its own topic, but I can't remember how with this forum software.

I was really really trying to find a way to make it bad to get flippers / fire boots but I couldn't figure it out.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Quote:We should probably break this off into its own topic, but I can't remember how with this forum software.

I was really really trying to find a way to make it bad to get flippers / fire boots but I couldn't figure it out.

Wow. Now you really got me thinking.....there must be a way.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Well you can't force anyone onto fire/water only if they have the right boots, so you need to make it matter that the item is missing from where it was instead of how Chip can move afterwards. So if you don't pick up the boots a monster might come by and deflect off of them, but if they were taken it would go somewhere else.
Monster redirection is a good idea.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
You mean bad in an absolute sense? There's always the trick of making it bad to take them too early (e.g. Magic Trick, LUNIT).
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
If you're using a no-collision solution, CCLP3's Bolkonski does this.
Quote:For December:

Thanks Miika.

Quote:I was wondering about the July one myself. ... Do you know who else made entries for it?
Ben Hornlitz made one and Dave Varberg made four. Slight smile

- Madhav.
Quote:I'm planning to upload a set containing all levels that I made for Create Competitions or for other websites.

Is one allowed to release a Create level after the competition has closed, but before it has been judged?

- Madhav.

I played through the levels, except for #5. You keep proving that you have an excellent knack for level design, and an affinity towards the random monsters :-)

On the 9x9 level it's possible to block slap a block that's closest to the pink ball and then reach an exit from the wrong direction. And there are several ways to blow up the bomb. I thus call for the level to be disqualified from this competition, and my entry be declared the winner! Of course the other designers should send me copies of their entries, so I can better explain why they should also be disqualified. Thanks in advance.

-Miika