What 'Elements' -make a great level?
Quote:I still maintain that Ctrl-N is a lot less effort than fooling around with an editor. Teeth

You still have to open the editor to find the password your first time through.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Not with passwords disabled.

(I didn't know that any Chipsters still used passwords. Wink)
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
I use passwords as an impetus to finish levels I don't like instead of skipping them. It does make for slow going though. I started CCLP3 back last summer and I just recently passed the halfway point.

I totally don't use passwords while playing random people's sets though because some levels are just a royal pain, or are terrible.
Quote:I totally don't use passwords while playing random people's sets though because some levels are just a royal pain, or are terrible.

Yeah, that was what I really had in mind. I'll admit that I skipped all around CCLP3, but I suppose a lot of people refused to do that so that it would better mimic the original levelset experience...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Here I come (except not in much detail)

Ian has it all. Good puzzles are those where you can see everything you need to solve it, and trying something won't necessarily cook it up instantly. Sort of why Cloner's Maze and Stress Fracture are amongst my favourite levels.

I don't really care for dodging/extra difficulty at the end, but it has to be consequent. If you have to play a 600 seconds gauntlet before getting there again, then an obvious no.

Generally, I prefer non-linear levels, where you can choose where to start without necessarily having to follow the exact same pattern every time.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Partial posts.

That is all.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:Generally, I prefer non-linear levels, where you can choose where to start without necessarily having to follow the exact same pattern every time.

Thumbs up

Quote:Good puzzles are those where you can see everything you need to solve it, and trying something won't necessarily cook it up instantly.

I'm tempted to agree, but then there's a level like Commit Suicide? that relies on the player not being able to see everything...and it's done in a clever way, not a "let's irritate the player with pointless guesswork" way.
In that case I'm all in favour of it. I put it out there as a general rules, but some levels just shine without it.

I guess in a way that I'm worn out by the massive amount of tediousness brought by restarting a whole level by cooking it late because of something I couldn't have known that magically cooked it.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:Partial posts.

That is all.

I think most of the levels in TS0 that I've played that had partial posts were less fun than the ones I played that didn't, but You Can Lead A Horse To Water... is a very notable exception.
Boom! Except that was an obvious joke.
My YouTube Channel