Poll: How often do you use the mouse to control Chip?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Never, haven't even tried
0%
0 0%
Never, though have tested it
40.91%
9 40.91%
When it's a simple case and saves time
27.27%
6 27.27%
Only when reaching a score absolutely requires it
31.82%
7 31.82%
Any time it saves time on a competitive level
0%
0 0%
Sometimes even in non-competitive sets
0%
0 0%
What, you can also use the keyboard??
0%
0 0%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

When do you use the mouse?
I only use the mouse on that one CC1 level where it makes the dodging timing perfect.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:I only use the mouse on that one CC1 level where it makes the dodging timing perfect.

Which one's that? I don't recall any level where that's the case...
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:Which one's that? I don't recall any level where that's the case...

Icehouse. There's a way to do it without the mouse obviously, but using the mouse makes Chip wait a half a move works quicker.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:Icehouse. There's a way to do it without the mouse obviously, but using the mouse makes Chip wait a half a move works quicker.

Interesting. I must try this sometime.
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
I only use the mouse on "Debug File" (CCLP2 #15), because of Mouse Panel Glitch to saves time.
Reynaldi Judianto Angry Unamused Fail
Quote:Pieguy posted a similar topic at the NG a while back. I think the consensus that was eventually reached was that any mechanic in the game has the right to be exploited. Personally, I don't really think it adds a whole lot...

Yeah, but back then I didn't have an opinion on the matter as I had never tried the mouse before. Now I have, and think that though it's not overly difficult to learn, it is an extra hurdle for new competative players and having less of those might encourage more competative play. The other big concern, is that Tile World doesn't emulate it perfectly, forcing some levels to be played in the original game. I did try to frame the original question more as some data to refer back to when we eventually pick up the topic before CCLP1 or CCLP4, rather than the discussion itself :-)

-Miika
Level 102.
'I made 1,000 levels once.' - Jacques

Quote:Pieguy posted a similar topic at the NG a while back. I think the consensus that was eventually reached was that any mechanic in the game has the right to be exploited. Personally, I don't really think it adds a whole lot...

Yeah, I remember, but back then (before CCLP3 came out) I didn't have an opinion on the matter. Here I wanted to gather some information on how players tend to use the mouse, if we revisit the topic before the next CCLP comes out. Overall it seems to me that if we could lower the learning curve even a bit for newer competitive players, we might have more people interested in playing competitively. Allowing the mouse basically creates artificial difficulty in competitive play, and optimizing levels is quite the task even without the mouse! Besides LFS (which isn't allowed to be exploited) we also are trying to weed out other weird behavior from future levels through better design, like avoiding the C/B glitch.

-Miika

Not quite. There's LFS (as Miika pointed out), and also the random number generator which is exploitable. Of course, TW doesn't have LFS, and it uses a different random number generator. Then again, it doesn't fully support the mouse mechanics either. My main argument against using the mouse was that it's a mechanic that adds almost no value to the game, but can easily and safely be ignored. I usually use it as a last resort (one exception is on Water Trap: I use a single mouse move to permit imperfect boosting).
I use it only on insane levels where required such as the most insane level ever! and Four for the Price of One
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold