Hillside Pack - Discussion
Slide of 25 Trials (#2): This is an excellent comparison to Long Distance from the previous pack- both levels revolve around timing ice slides towards potential death. However, Long Distance did it in a very frustrating manner while this level does it in a very simple and fair way. There's a lot more interesting, smaller obstacles in this level and it's quite fun to play as well.

Invisibility Cloak (#5): I don't usually agree with calling levels 'ordinary', but I think chipster nailed it here. I appreciate the loop that can cut down on backtracking, and though CCLP4 will likely need an invisible wall focused level I don't think that a mostly normal maze with a few invisible walls is the way to go. Light the Way (Kanagroo #27) would be a much stronger invisible maze pick from me.

Diametric Opposition (#11): Just taking a moment to say how happy I am with the final design here. The concept of taking one room and swapping its tiles around has been done by other levels like Monster Swapper and Color Coordination, the latter of which is quite possibly my favorite CC1 level not in an official set. But this level puts its own spin on it, with certain tiles always being swapped with a specific other tile and mirroring the level instead. The way there are two distinct puzzles with the cloning, and many solutions to the fireball section just make this level very fun for me to play- as the designer I've solved it a dozen or so times, and each time I kept finding something new that could be done. I'll be disappointed if this isn't in the final set.

Pixelated Fire (#20): This is just one of those levels that's very easy and very fun to play over and over again. I really want to see this as one of the levels in the first 2 decades of the final set- none of the individual challenges are complex, but nor are they entirely trivial either.

Lean Thinking (#28): ehhh it's okay. That's probably an unpopular opinion as I believe this level is polarizing, but that's all I can really say. It takes a while to put into practice an idea, and honestly the only realization you need is that diagonal perimeters have a larger area for the same number of blocks. I'd prefer if this concept was scaled down slightly, but I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on its final inclusion.

Easter Egg (#40): Hidden walls + sokoban = yeah, it's fair since you can explore, but I didn't find this fun at all.

The Toggle Station (#48): Another unpopular opinion time... I actually don't like this level. Can't completely explain why, it just feels... uninteresting to me. I'd understand if this made it into the final set since it's well designed, but it's not for me.

Favorite Level: Pixelated Fire (#20) (yes, over Diametric Opposition, even)

Least Favorite: Dungeon (#24)
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter

Messages In This Thread
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 15-Jul-2016, 12:22 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by chipster1059 - 17-Jul-2016, 7:26 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by jblewis - 19-Jul-2016, 11:48 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 19-Jul-2016, 11:59 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by random 8 - 20-Jul-2016, 3:11 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by ajmiam - 25-Jul-2016, 11:04 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 26-Jul-2016, 5:56 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Ihavenoname248 - 09-Aug-2016, 6:48 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by RB3ProKeys - 01-Jan-2017, 7:25 AM