June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!)
There's quite a lot to respond to, so excuse me for picking and choosing points. I can sort of see where you're coming from with the inconsistency, but my overall impression of what Josh did was sorting all the levels into three categories, and ranking from there:

<ul class="bbc">
[*]too simple, doesn't really illustrate concepts well
[*]too complex, doesn't really demonstrate uses for a newer player
[*]just right, illustrates mechanics of something well either through direct explanations or implicit interactions
</ul>
Quote:That's correct to a certain extend. Yellow teleports are a relatively tricky element in the sense that you can place them in a lot of different locations, which makes them complex. However there is not a lot of knowledge required. Yes, you can pick them up, but if you did not know this before playing this level, you will realize this pretty quickly by just stepping onto the outer one by chance. And if the player tries to place them onto a custom tile, he will realize that that's not possible.
Correct, each step of figuring out where to place the yellow teleports for the two required tasks (yes the level is really short) is the puzzle and the whole point of the level. There is hardly any overall complexity (at least if you don't try to not open the doors and just bridge down...).
From what I played, you need to set up blocks so that the yellow teleport in the center can be moved, you need to think ahead to where in the center it needs to be placed for the bug (which can't be seen yet), then you need to move them again for moving the ice block at the end. There's a lot of things that become apparent from playing, but they don't really help with solving the level. A less puzzle-heavy (or rather, a level with less possible cooks) would have been a stronger yellow teleport level for the purposes of the competition, and could still illustrate all of the same concepts.

Quote:Absolutely no trial and error is required to solve the puzzle, you can see every detail without stepping onto a single push up wall. If you are not a computer and try thousands of possibilities a second, you should definitely think logically how to set things up, and not try to brute force something with trial and error. If you seriously would call this just solvable with trial and error, you would have to do this for every sokoban, or probably even for every level in cc...
Well, yes, it can be done without trial and error. But it also reminds me of Campgrounds in that certain moves that look fine will end up screwing the level, without really being able to see ahead. Unless I'm missing something, you'd almost need to plot a path through the entire level before moving in order to complete it. Josh and I both found several methods to progress, but both of us in playing kept making a mistake somewhere that wasn't clear.
Sokobans and other levels usually allow undoing moves/returning to earlier states. With the recessed walls, that's not really the case here. Again, a level with less cooks (less recessed walls, but still some) would have been a much stronger candidate here, I feel.

Quote:But if you really want to write that much about game elements, you can enlighten me to which does Trans-Pachipic Partnership teach the player?
It was meant as a level to showcase a few of the things that two characters working together could do, that one character wouldn't be able to do alone. The sokoban at the start and recessed wall section, nailing off the other Chip (and changing teeth focus), and even the partial post that, even though you tried citing as something that requires knowledge, I'd say explains itself pretty well. Much better than, well, Partial Post did.
I will concede that this was the least tutorial-y level I submitted, and I didn't expect it to do well. But I did like the scaling and overall simplicity, so I threw it in.

Quote:The comparison lacks there a bit Wink ...I would indeed say it's simple as a whole.
That was exactly my point: you can distill any level down to simple conceptual statements, but it doesn't matter if the details aren't. Simple and easy are two different things, after all.

Quote:There is no logic in this statement Smiley
But yes if you mention Joshua Bones violation of the rules, you have to do so for Tyler as well (no time limit). But how to deal with them is up to Josh anyhow.
Meh. There's some logic- first would have been 15 chip cup points, third is 10, that's a 33% cut. Fourth would be 8 and a 46.66% cut and probably a fairer placement for using 44% more space (as the size issue was not brought up prior to judging, as it probably should have been as with Tyler's). For my ranking, 4th / 8 points to 6th / 6 points should have been to 7th / 5 points to keep with the ratio, but as an unofficial preferences it matters less.

Tyler not having a time limit matters much less than using more space than explicitly allowed: for one, it's an incredibly simple fix that doesn't change the level itself. For another, a timed level in CC2 can functionally become an untimed level, as you did with Phantoms. It honestly, HONESTLY does not matter and at that point it's just nitpicking for flaws in logic anywhere.
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter

Messages In This Thread
June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!) - by Ihavenoname248 - 13-Jul-2016, 4:26 AM