Poll: What future for official CC sets would you find most ideal?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Make CCLP4 for CC1, then make CC2LP1 a different set for CC2.
66.67%
22 66.67%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, without the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
0%
0 0%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, with the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
9.09%
3 9.09%
Forget about CCLP4 and move on with CC2LP1 instead.
18.18%
6 18.18%
Other (elaborate in the thread)
6.06%
2 6.06%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets?
CC2 will remain exclusively on Steam for as long as it continues to be sold there. As to why, it's simple to look at the reason Tile World was originally created and later superseded MSCC. MSCC was no longer legally obtainable, and computers were coming along that could no longer run the game, so a replacement clone/emulation/whatever term you want to use needed to be created. CC2 needs no such tool for the foreseeable future. The editor, on the other hand, can be replaced as it would just be a new way of creating the content, and I know a decent amount of people are waiting on the new editor to begin creating more CC2 content. Once some has been created, a CC2 community pack will certainly follow. But from the tone of your post, I take it a CC2 community pack that can still only be played through Steam isn't quite what you want Tongue

As for mobile ports, there actually are (very inaccurate and deprecated) ports for both ios and Android- Will's World and Rommy's Gauntlet. They didn't take off, and in fact were completely ignored outside of people who already knew of CC. However, Chuck's Challenge 3D was originally a mobile game, and did decently well. The only thing that held it back was a lack of a way to stitch together multiple user levels, which completely prevented any community packs for the game. I can understand different levels for touchscreen controls, but that would create a watered down experience- and why alter the rules that have served us so well? At that point, whoever is creating the port would be better off building something new, inspired by CC instead of what will be seen as a failed recreation.

Fun fact about CCLP2: most of the disliked levels in the set weren't picked due to lack of other options, but instead because nearly a dozen levels weren't included because the staff couldn't contact the designer for the final okay. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with invalid tiles, as long as they're used carefully. They're very easy to do wrong, after all. The standard for level design these days is also a lot higher, so even if we went into a CC2 community pack construction with only 500 or so levels to choose from (CCLP2 had ~1300, CCLP3 had a few thousand after ineligible levels were removed, CCLP1 and 4 had roughly 3.5k valid levels as well) the level of quality would be much higher. CCLXP2 was not meant to be a remake of CCLP2 that fixed every flaw, but instead meant to be a Lynx compatible version of the set- with everything that meant. Busts weren't fixed to stay true to the original experience (though switching to Lynx did fix some such as Trapped, but also allowed more such as Zartacla), and no levels were replaced for the same reason (though obviously, some underwent massive changes as the original concept could only work due to invalid tiles or MS-only mechanics, with a level that captured the spirit of the original in its place).
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter

Messages In This Thread
Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets? - by Ihavenoname248 - 16-Sep-2017, 7:02 AM