August 2018 Create Competition - Multiplayer Madness
I promised I'd post this on the 1st but forgot oops. Anyway, my attention has been split slightly lately, with people visiting (hi Jessi, hi James, hi Shane) and I figure better late than never on this. Anyway, CC2 has this lovely feature called splitscreen multiplayer. It's horribly underused. Let's fix that somewhat.

Guidelines:

1. The level should be new, at the very least I shouldn't have seen it before.

2. The level must use the splitscreen feature of CC2.

3. The level does not have to be solvable but must have some sort of goal. If it's not solvable, a hint stating this in the level would be appreciated. Some non-solvable ideas can include a sort of versus mode, a race, even just trying to survive. Be creative!

4. The deadline is September 3rd, 11:59 PM or whenever I post the submitted levels, whichever is later. I'll give feedback on any obvious busts or flaws I see when submitted, but otherwise won't be giving thoughts until judging.

5. Submit your levels to either my Discord (IHNN#3459) or email (jbardonjr [at] charter [dot] net
). There is no limit on the number of submissions, as non-solvable ideas may work better in a small set with several maps for that idea.

6. The levels will be played by me and my brother, who goes by 263739 here. You might remember him as the creator of TOTALLY RANDOM MAZE, and some of the potential ideas outlined above were inspired by things he's done.

I look forward to seeing what gets created here!
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
So, I actually only received an entry from one person for this- not sure if I should award the win to that person, or if I should keep entries open another week or two for additional entries to potentially trickle in.
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Far, far too late... here are the results and levels!

CC Zone File embed: https://cczone.invisionzone.com/files/fi.../?do=embed

In second place, earning 12 chip cup points... Dave Varberg with Splitsville. It's a level on rails, and the dynamite and dirt boots don't matter. The split screen isn't used to great effect either, as the level really doesn't request any simultaneous movement.

And in first place is H2O with Split 1, Split 2, Split 3 and Split 4 with 15 chip cup points. I'll briefly summarize each of these before revealing my favorite.

Split 1: This level boils down to a simultaneous run where both characters must follow a mirrored path from each other. I like this idea, though it's a little stricter than I'd like for a one player splitscreen level and much simpler than I'd like for a multiplayer splitscreen.

Split 2: This one is all about simultaneously (except if you're within a few ticks, the chips turn back into bombs) pressing 2 green buttons. Not too interesting but a nice concept. I find myself wishing these levels were combined into one...

Split 3: Nice little avoidance puzzle! Both players have something to do and I like the layout- this one really can stand on its own. I didn't find a use for the teleport, though I didn't find myself minding either.

Split 4: I feel like this one would work better as a single player level- each player is off doing their own puzzle- Chip has to move a block quickly to redirect a fireball, while Melinda has to... dodge a tank and remove two locks to have a glider reverse a force floor after Melinda finishes. I like the ending mechanism here, it's quite clever, but I don't think the level being splitscreen adds anything new to the table.

So Split 3 is my favorite and the winner! Tongue

What would have been really cool to see that I'm only just realizing would be: a "normal" variety level or open ended type level except there are two players for division of labor, or shortcuts, or any number of things. As mentioned, some sort of minigame or even a competitive subgame within CC2 could also have been really cool- something to bring out the multiplayer part. It might be cool to play through, say, CCLP1 Splitscreen Edition. Or it might be a terrible idea! Who knows?

IHNN1 | IHNN2