What's your favorite font size?
Maybe my journalism background is what makes me gaze favorably upon TNR. Calibri is another one I dislike...maybe I'm a font Luddite (then again, I think typewriter-like fonts are the worst).

Requiring specific fonts for reports is ridiculous, imo. I get it if the idea is to ensure that the paper is of a certain length, but in my experience, no teacher worth their while cares how long an essay is so long as the requisite content is there.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Thankfully some teachers are like that too... one uses a grading system that makes it impossible to take off points simply because I used the wrong font, rather it's all in the content.
The best teachers don't even use rubrics or formal "systems." They don't try to quantify the unquantifiable (to lapse into the parlance).
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
That's exactly how one of my teachers thinks, he believes grades are stupid and that one should be required to understand the concept in order to move on. However, grades are part of the policy.
Stupid policy. I'm all in favor of abolishing grades.
I think assignments should be graded, but only such that one has the opportunity to correct their mistakes and learn rather than being punished for not getting it the first time. In order to pass the class, one would simply need to understand all the concepts in such a way that their grades are consistently in the acceptable range, and it's done for (no GPA's or final class grades or anything).
My favorite font used to be Comic Sans MS. Rolling eyes It was only fairly recently that I found out it's pretty much the most hated font of all time...

But back on topic - I guess I'd have to go with size 12, but I'm OK with most sizes - I don't mind the font size here, but I guess it's probably smaller than 12... I think I like small sans serif fonts more than I do small serif fonts though - for example, I'd prefer to read 10 point Arial over 10 point Times New Roman...
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Comic Sans is useful for comics (see mine for example). Otherwise annoying.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Proportional: 10 point Verdanna for composition

Non-proportional: 10 point Lucida Console for programming

ian
Quote:I think assignments should be graded, but only such that one has the opportunity to correct their mistakes and learn rather than being punished for not getting it the first time. In order to pass the class, one would simply need to understand all the concepts in such a way that their grades are consistently in the acceptable range, and it's done for (no GPA's or final class grades or anything).

...well, then you get into the realm of college, in which some professors allow an unlimited amount of rewrites, and are prohibited from flunking students who turn something in. It defeats the whole purpose when you can defeat the system with a little bit of cynicism (and the ability to ignore any scrap of pride that you may have).

I have problems with the whole idea of formal education; for example, state jobs here basically require you to take a "test" to prove that you're capable of doing the job (for example, if you're applying to be a typist, you have to prove that you can type above a certain WPM, with minimal errors). I think most jobs should hire based on those sorts of decisions, rather than based on how impressive one's resume (and college credentials) are. But I digress.