Which tile would you eliminate? (A shameless rip-off thread)
I would nearly be inclined to say that the random force floor actually is worth removing because of the way monsters treat ignore it in MS, but you can use it to deflect blocks in random directions, which I've used before to good effect.
I just remember being somewhat frustrated by the way the blocks slid around on the forcefloors in that one CC1 level, the title of which is currently eluding me. I think it was in the 50's or 60's.

So boo for random forcefloors.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
I want to say you're thinking of GRAIL, that's like the only CC1 level I've seen so far (haven't finished yet) that has notable random force floors and blocks. But my solution on that level was basically just trying to force my way across floors, and didn't have any block moving at all...
Yeah random force floors without a doubt.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Hmmm...

Blue walls, hidden walls, and invisible walls can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but each type has its own uses and they can make for interesting levels. Also, it can feel somewhat satisfying to clear away fake blue walls and thereby literally see progress being made.

Hints are useful for explaining unusual design concepts and some level mechanics that may be difficult for the player to figure out on his/her own (such as trap/clone connections).

Without two different types of toggle walls, we wouldn't have Oorto Geld! Actually, toggle walls in general would be much less of an obstacle with only one type. (Think about how the east side of Lesson 4 would work with only one type of toggle wall.)

My vote for the tile to remove goes to, as so many others have chosen before me, random force floors. They're definitely the (valid) tile I use the least. For the most part, they just annoy the player; they don't properly provide the functions of directional force floors, which include the ability to make one-way passages and seal off areas until Chip has suction boots. Also, they make going for bold times luck-dependent and create problems with compatibility between rulesets (not only blocking monsters in MS but also not being truly random in Lynx).
Definitely not random force floors! I've been using them a ton in my set (in development), as the way they move blocks around in MS can create some truly awesome effects. Invisible walls for me.
Quote:How do you figure?

If you want something to be invisible then it shouldn't appear when it is touched. Appearing wall mazes can be turned into blue wall mazes, which I think are much better because you can see it coming and you know where you have and haven't been. Invisible walls can be used to make some great levels that would not have been as effective if other tiles had been used. (For example: STRIPES? and VANISHING ACT)
Except invisible wall mazes are tedious and painful if they're much bigger or more complicated then, say, the dirt/invisible wall maze in CCLP3's Clear the Way.
Especially if you're trying to get a bold route.

"Ok I have to turn left up here in three til--

*oof*

"Shit."

*Ctrl+R*
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
I'd get rid of none of the titles because they are all useful in their own way if done correctly. Tongue
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]