Which tile would you eliminate? (A shameless rip-off thread)
I have a feeling that this is going to come down to a contest between invisible walls and blue walls, but I'm hoping that some deviant will make a case for getting rid of gravel or recessed walls.

And I just want to add that random force floors and hint tiles are probably the most benign, on the whole. They're rarely annoying or beneficial*...they're just there.

*Notable exception: Scoundrel
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Nightmare on Block Street...

I'd get rid of RFF, yup.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Which levelset's that one from?
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
If you remove the truly egregious invisible walls from consideration, as well as obviously "useless" things like the random force floor and the hint and blue walls, that'd be pretty difficult.

I'll aim for iconoclasm and say the chip socket.
Nightmare on Block Street is from TomP1, level 144.

It has the particularity of existing and being there...

Having invisible wall and appearing wall is also mostly the same so it'd be practical to remove one of the two.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:If you remove the truly egregious invisible walls from consideration, as well as obviously "useless" things like the random force floor and the hint and blue walls, that'd be pretty difficult.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping for someone to argue against one of the more important tiles. Speaking of which...

Quote:I'll aim for iconoclasm and say the chip socket.

...I like it! Care to explain?

Now, a more pressing question...which would be worse: CC without exit squares, or CC without Chip*?

*From a post-modern version of WEP4, perhaps?
Invisible walls. I'm okay with hidden walls and blue walls, since the player is actually rewarded for touching them, though I try to avoid them. Random force floors are pointless too.

And hints are... pointless? Sure, a lot of times they are, but other times, it can avoid the player lots of frustration. In CCLP3, see Air Pocket, On the Coast, Mediterranean, Civilization of Creatures, Hidden Depths, Water Trap, Everybody Get Dangerous, Vulcan, and especially Rotation (note these are all either J.B.'s or my levels, maybe we're the only ones using hints effectively Tongue ). And other times hints add atmosphere, which makes the level slightly more interesting.

There's no way anyone could argue against recessed walls or gravel. No way Thumbs up
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:Having invisible wall and appearing wall is also mostly the same so it'd be practical to remove one of the two.

Pfft. Appearing walls are slightly less frustrating for the player. Invisible walls are the equivalent of banging a wall against the player's head, sparing him from the need to get up from his chair and walk over to the wall and do it himself.

Quote:And hints are... pointless? Sure, a lot of times they are, but other times, it can avoid the player lots of frustration. In CCLP3, see Air Pocket, On the Coast, Mediterranean, Civilization of Creatures, Hidden Depths, Water Trap, Everybody Get Dangerous, Vulcan, and especially Rotation (note these are all either J.B.'s or my levels, maybe we're the only ones using hints effectively

That may well be it. I'll concede that some hints are amusing ("Walk the lines of this inscribed pentagram to avoid its curse"...brilliant!). Can't say I've ever been helped by one, though. Maybe I'm not reading them effectively!

Quote: And other times hints add atmosphere, which makes the level slightly more interesting.

::Scratches his head::

Quote:There's no way anyone could argue against recessed walls or gravel. No way Thumbs up

Oh, I'm sure someone will. Let's wait and see!
Quote:

...I like it! Care to explain?

Now, a more pressing question...which would be worse: CC without exit squares, or CC without Chip*?

*From a post-modern version of WEP4, perhaps?

Yes, remove the socket but keep the chips. It'll be a critique of Western decadence. Chip will continue to seek chips to lower the chip counter, even though there is no gatekeeper keeping count of his chips, and ever chip collected is wasted time and opportunity for advancement. Chip will persist due a desire for completionism and hoarding of resources. Without the collecting of chips, what is Chip? He has no construct other than collecting chips, now hollow pursuits.

Chip Without Chip, meanwhile, would be filled entirely with 9x9 screen artwork in the upper left corner of the map, to display alongside the "This Level Cannot Be Played" warning.
Quote:Yes, remove the socket but keep the chips. It'll be a critique of Western decadence. Chip will continue to seek chips to lower the chip counter, even though there is no gatekeeper keeping count of his chips, and ever chip collected is wasted time and opportunity for advancement. Chip will persist due a desire for completionism and hoarding of resources. Without the collecting of chips, what is Chip? He has no construct other than collecting chips, now hollow pursuits.

Or you could argue that it's an inspirational story: he seeks no reward for his pursuit of the chips (and indeed, none is forthcoming). He simply does it because that is what he has been put on Earth to do. He is doing it because it is his duty and it's the right thing to do: personal gain is not his goal.

Quote:

Chip Without Chip, meanwhile, would be filled entirely with 9x9 screen artwork in the upper left corner of the map, to display alongside the "This Level Cannot Be Played" warning.

Philisophical question: if there is no Chip but the map exists, do the Teeth monsters move?

Discuss.