Name that Design Element
Much like the "Name that Strategy"-thread, let's describe and give names to some smaller design elements that usually can be used in different ways. So these aren't puzzle types exactly, but more like tools to create puzzles. For example, the ones already mentioned were

"trap door" - if you pick up too many items, this type of construction will deny access to some area

"partial posting" - a teleport needs to be blocked to access some other teleport

"blocks open traps" - often used in sokoban puzzles, requiring you to place blocks on trap buttons

There many more, so dig deep and keep adding to the list! Maybe at some point we can start listing levels that use these different tools too.
"prisoner" -- a short length of ice over which you have to push a block, and then step sideways out of the way. Found in CC1 level 123, and also in geodave3 level 107.

"ferrying" -- moving a bug or paramecium around with a block. Examples: CCLP3 levels 133 & 141, geodave3 level 80.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
This one is in ‘Name that Strategy’, but it should be here instead, rather than there. But, this thread had not been started yet.

Door Trap: where a key is place on a path that Chip ‘must cross’, thus picking up the key. Also, there needs to be a force floor aiming at the ‘trapping door’. If the key is not disposed off, before approaching the door (that is later on, in a path), the door will open up and the force floor tile with push Chip into the trap...not allowing Chip to continue on the path to the exit tile. Of course, it is assumed that Chip can not go anywhere on passed the door on the other side. It is a dead end. I use this kind of tactic in MyBest37-lynx levelset several times. It’s tricky and the player must be alert to the use of it.

To my knowledge, it was Dave Varberg - that first made this concept known (or utilized it) in his CreateCompetition for last December.

Ian Wilson (thinker)
Quote:This one is in ‘Name that Strategy’, but it should be here instead, rather than there. But, this thread had not been started yet.

Door Trap: where a key is place on a path that Chip ‘must cross’, thus picking up the key. Also, there needs to be a force floor aiming at the ‘trapping door’. If the key is not disposed off, before approaching the door (that is later on, in a path), the door will open up and the force floor tile with push Chip into the trap...not allowing Chip to continue on the path to the exit tile. Of course, it is assumed that Chip can not go anywhere on passed the door on the other side. It is a dead end. I use this kind of tactic in MyBest37-lynx levelset several times. It’s tricky and the player must be alert to the use of it.

To my knowledge, it was Dave Varberg - that first made this concept known (or utilized it) in his CreateCompetition for last December.

Ian Wilson (thinker)

I don't think I can take credit for this. Wasn't this used in Motion Blur?
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Well, Dave, sorry about that, But it was your CreateCompetition entry that gave me the idea of NOT having 'something' so that Chip could proceed over a force floor. I then took and applied it to the door and key -couppled with the forced floor -as explained above. It's a really good concept, and I thank you for sharing it...even if it became known somewhere else in another levelset, somewhere in the long distant past. I'm not aware of the level called Motion Blur. Where can it be found?

Ian Wilson (thinker)
It's in CCLP3 (level 34 I think.) Also, this concept is in TS0 level Tunnel Clearance.
Ian, the theme of that create competition was to use the Door Trap element Tongue The earliest usage I can find is in the pi^2 level "lucky 7".
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
I believe the very first use of this element was with chips and a socket as the trap in CheeseT1's "The Poisoned Chips."
Quote:"prisoner" -- a short length of ice over which you have to push a block, and then step sideways out of the way. Found in CC1 level 123, and also in geodave3 level 107.

The earliest appearance (as a strategy) is in CC1 level 34 (On The Rocks) and as a design element in CC1 level 70 (Nightmare; arguably level 43, Lock Block, though the stretch of ice is longer). I think "prisoner" should refer to an area in which you're trapped for a fixed (i.e. not dependent on Chip's actions) period of time.

Quote:"ferrying" -- moving a bug or paramecium around with a block. Examples: CCLP3 levels 133 & 141, geodave3 level 80.

It doesn't have to be a block....
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Quote: The earliest appearance (as a strategy) is in CC1 level 34 (On The Rocks) and as a design element in CC1 level 70 (Nightmare; arguably level 43, Lock Block, though the stretch of ice is longer). I think "prisoner" should refer to an area in which you're trapped for a fixed (i.e. not dependent on Chip's actions) period of time. It doesn't have to be a block....

On the Rocks is 33. Remember, 34 is always the Cypher level Slight smile
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold