Name that Design Element
Quote:On the Rocks is 33. Remember, 34 is always the Cypher level Slight smile

Not sure how I messed that up when I looked up their numbers just before making that post. Confused
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
This thread was created to give names to common design elements that maybe combine a couple different tiles in a familiar fashion to create a kind of design tool. I'm sure there are still many more that are not yet listed, particularly some common ones that we are so used to that are easy to overlook. Anyone care to brainstorm a bunch of these and we can see if they deserve names?

Here are some that are seen quite often:

Using footware and the elements and a thief to basically do the same thing as a fifth colored key and door.

Cloning monsters that then hit the same cloning button to fill up a corridor or room.

Using a pink ball to toggle walls or switch tanks.

A Teeth that clones other monsters aimed at Chip.

Using tiles two write something.

Using a block to guard Chip from pink balls.
Quote:Cloning monsters that then hit the same cloning button to fill up a corridor or room.
"exploding toilet" Tongue

Quote:Using a pink ball to toggle walls or switch tanks.
"clock"

Quote:Using tiles two write something.
"cypher", perhaps?

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
As far as design element names goes...

Quote:Using footware and the elements and a thief to basically do the same thing as a fifth colored key and door.

"gate" perhaps?

Quote:Cloning monsters that then hit the same cloning button to fill up a corridor or room.

Monster Explosion.

Quote:Using a pink ball to toggle walls or switch tanks.

A clock.

Quote:A Teeth that clones other monsters aimed at Chip.

A gauntlet?

Quote:Using tiles two write something.

Why, a cypher, of course!

Quote:Using a block to guard Chip from pink balls.

Blocking.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
using a teeth to press buttons to your benefit, when you can see the teeth;

fair manipulation. When you can’t see the teeth; unfair manipulation. [even though, I don't really think it's necessarily actually "unfair" ] I've made at least two levels with this.

(I like the word manipulation…)
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Here are a few puzzle- or action-segment building blocks/"mechanisms" (that's what I think of them as) that I've used and seen others use (as well as a couple I've used multiple times but don't recall seeing in any of the other sets I've played).

Laser -- A stream of monsters being cloned from a machine every other tick. The monsters can either clone themselves or be cloned by some other monster. This is actually quite common, being found in CC1, CCLP2, and CCLP3 as well as my set and other custom sets. A laser is typically used to block off an item or area, since a 1-tile gap between monsters is too small to sneak through. In some cases, though, the player needs to redirect the lasers over buttons or into bombs to proceed (Laser Refraction).

Lasers can either be in existence from a level's start or form as a result of some actions by the player. The player can get by lasers by either blocking them off or redirecting them (The Last Laugh, Monster Lab, Fire and Water), stopping the outside agent that's cloning them (Lesson 5, also part of Fire and Water depending on how you go about it), waiting for them to stop and then rushing through (Periodic Lasers, Checkmate?), or just plain outrunning them as they form (Be Quick About It, Man!!, also required in Checkmate?) as well as miscellaneous other methods (taking advantage of invincibility in water in MS as seen in Two Sets of Rules). Note: If monsters are being cloned continually, but far enough apart for Chip to move along or across their path without interfering with it, that's not a laser. (Thus the fireballs in Producing and, despite the name, Laser Sweep do not actually form lasers.)

Monster Ring -- Similar to a Laser, but it's a closed path of circulating monsters (not being cloned) with a 1-tile gap between consecutive monsters. There's no shutting this off, so in order to get the goodies it encircles, you need to send in a monster or block to disrupt it. Examples: Wars, Mud and Water.

Controlled Cloning (could also be called Double Cloning or Bossy Cloning, or maybe a different name would be better) -- Everyone knows how to use a monster on a trap when they need a boss to clone a bug, paramecium, or Teeth and they don't want the CB Glitch to screw it up. Well that works fine at first, because Ball-On-Trap will direct T/B/P (Teeth, Bug, or Paramecium) #1 out of its clone machine, but if you try to make T/B/P #2 while #1 is still out there, then T/B/P #2 might be led astray by #1 and smash into a wall (thus never existing at all). The solution is Controlled Cloning.

Instead of hooking up the Chip-controlled red button straight to the T/B/P cloner, hook it up to a ball or fireball cloner facing the direction the T/B/P should clone. That cloned ball/fireball will immediately press another red button cloning the T/B/P (in the desired direction because the ball/fireball is the newest monster and is facing that direction). And no previous T/B/P clone will interfere with this direction! After the ball/fireball does its job, it can drown. However, this fix doesn't work if multiple monsters might be cloned in the same tick, and it has the small side-effect of the player hearing 2 clicks for every 1 time they press the red button.

Examples of this element can be seen in Froggy! and Bridges for Bugs to clone teeth and bugs, respectively. I haven't seen this element used very often, at least not that I know of. (I haven't patented it or anything, people! You can use it! Slight smile)

Warning Click -- Use when a level element is periodic and potentially dangerous, and the player might have a hard time predicting when the element will "activate". Have a monster press a non-functional button to make a clicking sound a second or two before triggering the level element. Examples can be seen in Assembly Line and Laser Sweep. This works pretty well, except if the player keeps the sound turned off or there are other buttons being pressed throughout the level.

One-Use Button (could use a snappier name, anyone got any ideas?) -- Instead of letting the player press a red, blue, or green button directly, the designer only gives the player access to a different red button that clones a block onto the other button. The block can never be moved off the button (often, the block is out of the player's sight or made totally unreachable). The result is that said button can be used only once.

Famous examples include Oracle II, Avalanche, and Sardine Production, which all have one-use green buttons to require the player to prepare before making an irreversible change to the level state. (Maybe this variation deserves its own name?) My levels Checkmate? and x times 2 to the n use one-use red and green buttons, respectively, simply to ensure a specific event does not get triggered more than once (fireball cloning and the sealing off of the exit).

---

Quote:Using a block to guard Chip from pink balls.

There are a couple variations on that that I've seen. There's using blocks to cross a gigantic field of many parallel-moving balls (Zelgon's Lair) or stopping 1 of them from entering a long passage that has no dodging room (Dangers in the Alley). Either way, the first two terms that popped into my head for this are "shielding" and "umbrella".
Controlled Cloning: Not so much a design element as a preventative measure.

Warning Click: The warning can also be visual, like walls toggling or monsters from a certain cloning machine. "Warning Signal"?

One-Use Button: Theoretically can be any button type, though red and brown (e.g. release monster to hit button, then subsequently drown/blow up/etc.) are most convenient.

----------

Limited-Use Button: A generalization of the One-Use Button, usually implemented as tanks cloned into a path of limited size or monsters cloned onto a button followed by a stretch of force floors (warning: slide delay). Can also involve teleports.

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Quote:Limited-Use Button: A generalization of the One-Use Button, usually implemented as tanks cloned into a path of limited size or monsters cloned onto a button followed by a stretch of force floors (warning: slide delay). Can also involve teleports.

I found a fun way of making a limited use button that doesn't take up a lot of room (no idea if this has been done before):

-Have a number of monsters in a tunnel (# of monsters = # of times you want button able to be pressed)

-a trap blocks off the tunnel; after the trap is the "goal" button and water.

-Pressing the main button releases the trap releasing one monster to press the goal button and die. After all the monsters are gone the button won't get pressed again.

It's easy to accidentally let more then one monster go this way, I found, so you can solve this by added a second trap, that gets released by the monster to give some time in between presses.

...I just a brilliant idea then lost it...

Quote:Controlled Cloning (could also be called Double Cloning or Bossy Cloning, or maybe a different name would be better) -- Everyone knows how to use a monster on a trap when they need a boss to clone a bug, paramecium, or Teeth and they don't want the CB Glitch to screw it up. Well that works fine at first, because Ball-On-Trap will direct T/B/P (Teeth, Bug, or Paramecium) #1 out of its clone machine, but if you try to make T/B/P #2 while #1 is still out there, then T/B/P #2 might be led astray by #1 and smash into a wall (thus never existing at all). The solution is Controlled Cloning.

Instead of hooking up the Chip-controlled red button straight to the T/B/P cloner, hook it up to a ball or fireball cloner facing the direction the T/B/P should clone. That cloned ball/fireball will immediately press another red button cloning the T/B/P (in the desired direction because the ball/fireball is the newest monster and is facing that direction). And no previous T/B/P clone will interfere with this direction! After the ball/fireball does its job, it can drown. However, this fix doesn't work if multiple monsters might be cloned in the same tick, and it has the small side-effect of the player hearing 2 clicks for every 1 time they press the red button.

Examples of this element can be seen in Froggy! and Bridges for Bugs to clone teeth and bugs, respectively. I haven't seen this element used very often, at least not that I know of. (I haven't patented it or anything, people! You can use it! Slight smile)

Warning Click -- Use when a level element is periodic and potentially dangerous, and the player might have a hard time predicting when the element will "activate". Have a monster press a non-functional button to make a clicking sound a second or two before triggering the level element. Examples can be seen in Assembly Line and Laser Sweep. This works pretty well, except if the player keeps the sound turned off or there are other buttons being pressed throughout the level.

controlled cloning is a great idea! I only ever made one level with a paramecia cloner and it happens to work almost perfect by accident. I messed around a little but didn't feel like sorting out the problems. I usually just tend to avoid bug/paramecia cloning or trapping altogether.

I also like warning click and used it at least one level where visibility is minimal.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
In the tank version of the Limited-Use Button, placing bombs after the button reduces the path length to approximately half. Not sure how your version saves room as you'd need space to store all those monsters.

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
I like the word laser, and your levels implying them were genuine too, ajmiam.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow