Most difficult levels in existence?
I'll have to track those down. "Bowling" was a fine CCLP3 level.

I have no idea which authors were responsible for which levels, so I really can't comment on this. I'm also speaking from the POV of a Chipster who isn't terribly brilliant (or dedicated, or interested in high scores), so take from this what you will. I just think that CC1 and CCLP3 were, for the most part, a lot of fun to play through, while CCLP2 was, overall, not much "fun." The problems with the set range far beyond the 15-20 "obviously" ridiculous levels.

I don't mean to criticize anyone personally, or to even suggest that the set was a waste. On the whole, it was probably very beneficial to the CC community to have such a set and that sort of community-oriented, "let's collaborate on a project" mindset (wasn't it? I don't know, I wasn't around then; I'm just guessing here).

But, for whatever reason, CCLP3 is far more satisfying, than its predecessor, imo. Maybe it was the greater pool of levels invovled in voting, maybe it's the Lynx-compatability requirement, maybe it was the tastes of the CC community reacting to CCLP2 and its successes/failrues...I don't know.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:And there were 13 levels that were to be in CCLP2, but didn't get in because the designers couldn't be contacted. They can be found at the bottom of this page under honorable mentions. Bowling appeared in CCLP3 anyway. And Pipe Dream would have been one of the best levels in CCLP2, had it made it in.

And because of that we got Exit Chip in CCLP2. Hooray! Chip Win
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
It's not only about levels with Fire block or anything else, like I said. But those are far from the hardest ever...
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:And because of that we got Exit Chip in CCLP2. Hooray! Chip Win

Call me crazy, but I actually like Exit Chip. Smiley Although this might be more due to memories of first discovering/solving the level, plus the fact that I don't think I've even played it since 2002, back when invalid tiles were still cool... Smiley

To elaborate a bit on the memories - when I first discovered the level in EricS1 and read the hint (not present in the CCLP2 version) that read something like "There's no way you can possibly beat this level, but I can - muahahaha!" and after playing it for a while and finding that the obvious chips were booby-trapped, I actually thought the hint was serious (or at least the first half of it) and that Eric meant that the level was unsolvable... I'm not even sure if I figured it out it was solvable until CCLP2's release, at which point I realized it must be... Slight smile Even with all the hidden items, it was still a good feeling to finally figure out the solution that I once thought didn't exist...
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Quote:Call me crazy, but I actually like Exit Chip. Smiley Although this might be more due to memories of first discovering/solving the level, plus the fact that I don't think I've even played it since 2002, back when invalid tiles were still cool... Smiley

To elaborate a bit on the memories - when I first discovered the level in EricS1 and read the hint (not present in the CCLP2 version) that read something like "There's no way you can possibly beat this level, but I can - muahahaha!" and after playing it for a while and finding that the obvious chips were booby-trapped, I actually thought the hint was serious (or at least the first half of it) and that Eric meant that the level was unsolvable... I'm not even sure if I figured it out it was solvable until CCLP2's release, at which point I realized it must be... Slight smile Even with all the hidden items, it was still a good feeling to finally figure out the solution that I once thought didn't exist...

I must admit, playing through this levels back in 2002 must have been quite an experience. I could see levels like Exit Chip and Warehouse II being difficult without solutions, and I've always wondered, how long have invalid tiles existed in Chip's Challenge? Were editors made to allow them or was the game allowed to do this from the start?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:I must admit, playing through this levels back in 2002 must have been quite an experience. I could see levels like Exit Chip and Warehouse II being difficult without solutions, and I've always wondered, how long have invalid tiles existed in Chip's Challenge? Were editors made to allow them or was the game allowed to do this from the start?

I couldn't solve Warehouse II without a solution, but I'm pretty sure I did Exit Chip on my own (except for looking in the editor, of course... Slight smile).

CC wasn't really "intended" for invalid tiles (hence why they are invalid... Wink). I assume they were possible since ChipEdit was first released, at which point people started making levels that had them... So CC was technically "allowed" to have them from the beginning, but there were no custom levels around yet... Smiley
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
I did both without solutions, and I liked Exit Chip as well, so you're not alone, I guess Tongue
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:So CC was technically "allowed" to have them from the beginning, but there were no custom levels around yet... Smiley
MSCC, not CC. Unamused

- Madhav.
The thing is, the developers never programmed or tested invalid tiles into the game, and never used them, so that's why some of them crash the game while others just have some of the strangest effects (which make sense if you think about it). It just so happens that because the way the game was programmed, most of them have weird gameplay effects that can be used as new never-before-seen puzzle elements.
...well, it's not just invalid tiles that crash the game. I think we all had a few "wai...what?" moments while playing Jailer.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.