Various missing levelsets.
Old Old news
Quote:In that case I won't be submitting any levels to the competitions. I, and ONLY I, will ever own the copyright to MY levels. Not any other site, not the CCLP1 staff, not the CCLP4 staff...

All right, because of Andrew I won't put copyright on the CC Zone competition levels.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:All right, because of Andrew I won't put copyright on the CC Zone competition levels.

It seems pointless to do so anyway, I don't see why I can't submit a level just for fun from my set and then use it later...?
Quote:It seems pointless to do so anyway, I don't see why I can't submit a level just for fun from my set and then use it later...?

You're right. It's stupid. But If A CC Zone levelset came to play...
Quote:Copyright isn't as simple as saying "I own this now" btw.

This is not true, actually. Even if it were a copyright with legal weight, it would still be the property of the site, and not you personally. If you can't see the importance of that, you should go do some research on copyright law.

It is granted automatically to the creater of that property, and as you are not the direct creater it is not nearly that simple.

In order:

Of course not. However, copyright can be reassigned if the person expressly agrees.

Except that I definitely completely owned the site from the moment that Tom P (and possibly Craig V) was demoted. (Oh, and before anyone says anything, my self-demotion didn't count as it was only for appearance - I could obviously do whatever I wanted to the site since I had backend access to it.)

See above.
Check out my levelset: AndrewR1
Discuss it here: AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Quote:By submitting a levelset into a competition, you expressly agreed to those conditions. Virtually any court of law in the world would agree with me on this (disclaimer: IANAL).

Copyright doesn't require any symbols or other designations - it's granted automatically.
Let's say you made a hit record, and got it copyrighted through a record company. The creator (you) can still use this record, and so can the record company. If they just took the song and said you couldn't use it, that's the exact same as stealing. how would you feel if that happened to you? Not very good. So don't do that to others, and allow others to use stuff THEY made.
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:In order:

Of course not. However, copyright can be reassigned if the person expressly agrees.

Except that I definitely completely owned the site from the moment that Tom P (and possibly Craig V) was demoted. (Oh, and before anyone says anything, my self-demotion didn't count as it was only for appearance - I could obviously do whatever I wanted to the site since I had backend access to it.)

See above.

True, I did retire my position in Chip's Portal. I put my hand up on that one, but we didn't expect you to close Chip's Portal all of a sudden either. Can't you just rerelease those levels and make both sides happy? It's not like anybody paid for them, is it?
Quote:As much as I'd hope he'd do the right thing, we may have to lose a few levels in the process.

And the new CC Zone competition levels may have a copyright watermark, but obviously I'd have control of the rights this time.

I don't think create levels should be copyrighted by the site, and we should leave that to the maker of the level.

I think you would see better participation and better ideas then, too, because people (myself included) don't want to use our best ideas only to loose them.

However, I would want to add in a rule then that these levels can't be used in another set that is already released (as of the due date for the competition) or they become ineligable. After the competition is over, they should be free to use by the creator - another incentive to make good levels for it.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Quote:True, I did retire my position in Chip's Portal. I put my hand up on that one, but we didn't expect you to close Chip's Portal all of a sudden either. Can't you just rerelease those levels and make both sides happy? It's not like anybody paid for them, is it?

I fully agree with this statement.

The only reason why we have been fighting is because of the fact that our rights are not returned now that the site is gone. First of all, it was stated as a site rule, and not a COPYRIGHT rule. Had it been more clear that it was copyright you were talking about, not many people would have submitted their levels in fear of losing credit.

I have gotten so many false copyright claims on my YouTube videos, because apparently my voice sounds like music or something and their robots identify it. This feels like the same exact thing, but worse, in that people's levels have been stolen (to an extent). Thus, I think many people who submitted their levels feel plagiarized now.
So... can we (on both sides of this) do our best to avoid personal insults while trying to discuss this? Or else it will go nowhere productive.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!