April 2018 Create Competition - Pushing New Ideas
Hellllllo everyone, it's time for another Create Competition! Like the last one I ran where I wanted a maze, this time your prompt is also just a type of level. I want a block themed level! There are a lot of interesting things you can do with blocks and many tiles also complement blocks well, so hopefully we get some interesting puzzles out of this.

Guidelines:

1. The level should be new, at the very least I shouldn't have seen it before.

2. Other sections are okay, but the focus should be on blocks.

3. The level can be large, or long, but I value compact clever puzzles highly over an overly drawn out level. If it has a reason to fill the whole map or take up many minutes, that's fine, but don't feel compelled to fill up the entire map.

4. I'd like to see a sokoban (push blocks to destination tiles) in each entry that uses a mechanic that makes the puzzle only* work in CC. As a guideline, if you could make the puzzle in YASC, it probably won't do well here. This isn't a requirement, but it'd have to be a very good level to win without one of these.

5. The level can be made in CC1 or CC2, and if CC1, it must be solvable in MS and/or Lynx. I'm aware that CC2 has multiple different kinds of blocks and many other interacting tiles that allows for a lot more potential here, but levels in both games will have a good chance. Recall that the winning maze level was CC2 but almost 100% transferable to Lynx, and second place was MS+Lynx.

6. The deadline is May 3rd, 11:59 PM or whenever I post the submitted levels, whichever is later. I'll give feedback on any obvious busts or flaws I see when submitted, but otherwise won't be giving thoughts until judging.

7. Submit your levels (limit 3) to either my Discord (IHNN#3459) or email ( jbardonjr [at] charter [dot] net
).

For an example of the sort of level that would do well here, Construct-a-Sokoban uses chips and sockets to make a novel sardine can, while Same Game uses CC elements sparingly to craft a masterful puzzle. Josh's Trick or Trap uses recessed walls to up the difficulty of an otherwise simple puzzle, and his Prison Hall uses force floors to create an elegant puzzle. Block Plaza (in WoCCLP4) uses blue walls to make a guiding puzzle, to use one of my own levels. For a level that wouldn't do so well, pick anything in SokobanCCLP for not using CC mechanics, or Traps II from CCLP2, or pretty much any of Tyler's adapted sokobans (MSI excepted for using toggle walls), and so on.

And most importantly, have fun with it!
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
And submissions are now unofficially closed!

I've received levels from twelve different participants, so I'd consider this competition a huge success! Now, I know I said I'd stream playing the levels today over on the Discord, but tomorrow evening just works better. So I'll be posting the submitted levels (11+2 CC1, 13 CC2) right before I start the playthrough stream, and you can still get in a last minute level or change before then Wink
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Submissions are now officially closed, with the release of the submitted levels. Fixes are still allowed until I post results.

CC Zone File embed: https://cczone.invisionzone.com/files/fi.../?do=embed

As for the judging... I'll be starting a stream within about 10 minutes here showing my first impressions of the levels. I will be trying to solve all of them, but I make no promises about actually doing so on-stream (though I will before posting results).

IHNN1 | IHNN2

No results, but here's the first impressions stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/258248563

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Thanks again for everyone who entered this competition, the average level of quality here was incredibly high and ranking these came down to the slimmest of margins. Literally any of the levels in the top half could easily have been the winner, and very minor changes to levels could also have resulted in several place changes. Onwards to the results!

12th place:

[Click to Show Content]

11th place:

[Click to Show Content]

10th place:

[Click to Show Content]

9th place:

[Click to Show Content]

8th place:

[Click to Show Content]

7th place:

[Click to Show Content]

6th place:

[Click to Show Content]

5th place:

[Click to Show Content]

4th place:

[Click to Show Content]

3rd place:

[Click to Show Content]

2nd place:

[Click to Show Content]

1st place:

[Click to Show Content]

Thanks again to everyone who entered, I know I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer for Tyler's Create! Slight smile

Final results:

[Click to Show Content]

IHNN1 | IHNN2

I started playing levels from this contest:

Total Eclipse of the Post:

very nice repetitive concept and compact design. It was fun to solve.

Hook and Warp: really nice compact one but as with most yellow teleport puzzles, I'm totally stumped!!

Can you see the block: really neat concept, even if it's quite simple!!

Wormhole in the sun: another nice compact level, and challenging
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski