October 2014 Survival Competition - Perpetual Motion
Itching to get that Left 4 Chip award?? Now's your chance to enter this survival competition and make that happen!

Itching to get your name on the official score boards? Now's your chance to enter this survival competition and make that happen!

Wait, what? Yes, the winner of this competition will receive an avi to a record that has not been confirmed yet, and they will have a chance to do just that, provided they can perform the route. I can't reveal the exact level in case it needs to be changed along the way, but J.B. has promised to make one of his routes available for this. There is some boosting involved, but it should be doable for most chipsters. (If J.B. happens to win, I guess the rest of us owe it to him to try and come up with something too.)

Now that you know the stakes, download the level from http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/download/422-cczone-october-2014-survival-competition-level/ and have at it

Here is the objective: Survive for as long as you can on this level and still make it to the exit! The level is untimed and there is nothing stopping you from pausing during your attempt. Record your solution as an avi or send your tws file to either CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com or valeosote at hotmail dot com. The deadline for the competition is at the end of October where you live, and before I judge the competition as soon as I can in November. Please don't mess up your life because of this, so keep your attempts to a reasonable length. Other normal competition things apply as I see fit (like don't share your achievements with others). All comments and questions are welcome.

Enjoy!

-Miika

EDIT:

-For extremely long solutions (which I already discouraged above), I have set a limit (which I will not reveal yet, though I might give a hint later in the month) and any solutions above this time will be considered equal. In case of a tie, the avi prize will be given to only one of the winners by some method I deem appropriate.

-You may enter in either MS or Lynx. Note that the final time displayed on the timer is different for the rule sets, and this will be taken into account as best as I can to assure that the actual time spent on the solution is compared.
A note for TW players:

You can run out of time on an untimed level (though in most cases you will run out of sanity first). This happens after approximately 4 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes, and 30 seconds.
Looking forward to seeing the results of the competition- I wonder what strategies people used? Personally, I set aside a couple hours and just went for it all in one session. It would be interesting to see if pausing and playing a few minutes over the course of the month was more effective.
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
Results time. We had five people participate, as you may have already noticed from the Chip Cup thread summary. Only one person entered in Lynx, and his time was far apart from the rest that I am not going to to do any adjusting calculations on the score to match actual real time spent playing since it wouldn't change the order. Some of the solutions are pretty long, so I haven't uploaded any of the solutions yet for others to view, nor have I actually watched most of the solutions through completely. Thank goodness for Tile World 2's rewind feature which allowed for a quick examination of the strategies used. I think one could argue that each participant had a separate approach, so I'll break them down individually from the quickest to the longest solution.

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

There you have it. Congratulations to the winner, who is now awarded his eponymous award! However, in his submission email he stated "No reward necessary", which I interpret to mean the avi solution to an unconfirmed record. I feel it's fair to pass this reward to the next person, so dear Mr. 2nd place you may start pestering JB about getting an avi Slight smile Other participants also get the Left 4 Chip award. Thank you all for participating!

-Miika

(PS. Ihavenoname248 also is the sixth person to receive the unofficial Golden Apple-pie-award for placing second in a competition where pieguy participated!)
"If I understand it correctly, by cloning two fireballs, one of them can be jammed in place on a teleport. This allows for the possibility that the next fireball in that corridor may be trapped behind it, never endangering Chip."

While testing various approaches I actually had a fireball get stuck on a teleport, but didn't think that doing it again would kill the fireball without needing to clone another >.<

I still think my method was more fun, though Tongue
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Congratulations Pieguy!

[Click to Show Content]
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler>
[Click to Show Content]
I considered throwing together a macro that would do it based on pixel colors, but decided against it since it'd be pretty cheap to do so. Overall, though, programming a bot to play this level indefinitely is a pretty trivial task.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Quote:I originally thought he wrote a computer program to play the level and let it run for a few days.
When he posted about running out of time on an untimed level in Tile World, I assumed he knew this from studying the source code and understanding some memory related issue. (At least the tws-documentation leads me to believe that the restriction does not come from the tws format, which should be able to handle waiting in place for over a trillion years.) Having seen his submission, I smile at the prospect that he might have discovered it in practice by leaving the level running for a few days. Slight smile