Annoying things about Windows
A thread inspired by BigOto's post in another thread. Let's create a master list of gripes, nitpicks, and other observations about Windows! Any version is fair game.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
As I said, that one time when I closed one window in Word and all ~8 windows I had open closed *without* saving. Not funny at the time, but you all know how sadistic I am in the future.

Another recent one is when an illegal program (a not-so-stable Wii emulator) on my computer crashed arbitrarily like it does quite a lot. Apparently just this once, Windows decided to automatically apply unnecessary compatibility options, and I'm still not sure what the heck it did but I couldn't figure out for my life how to reverse it.

And also, the green ribbon of death "searching for a solution" when something stops working is totally unnecessary except in Microsoft products... like Microsoft will ever try to fix someone else's problems, especially if that program isn't legal.
Windows Update is possibly the most annoying thing ever when you have a laptop. You try to shut it down and then it starts updating, and you can't pack it up and leave the coffeeshop...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Also, incessant restart requests from 5 programs that want to update. Adobe is the worst as it checks right after startup, often making one restart AGAIN (which I always refuse of course, as it isn't as important as Windows security updates).
Java sucks too, but Adobe is pretty darn annoying.
This!

[Image: clippy.jpg]
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Every time there's a new version of Windows or Office, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!! I had to google how to add Notepad to my SendTo in windows 7 today. (Stupid).
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Ah, same here. The switch between Office 2003 and 2007 made me want to cry, but I got used to it and now I prefer 2007 and 2010. Hope they don't rearrange everything in the next version.
Biggest problem with windows is MS.

They love to change things that work into things that don't.

I want to keep my programs and data together. I want to decide how to arrange file structures (tree design) on my disk. I don't want MS having to verify my legal copy of whatever version of windows I use. I hate the office ribbon. I revert to classic windows layout whenever permitted. My favorite version was 98SE. Anything since and including Vista sucks big time as far as I am concerned. XP was acceptable only because you could set it up just like 98SE.

Ian
I hear in Windows 8 they may do away with the desktop and file structure altogether, leaving us with an iPhone style design with only Microsoft-verified applications.

OK, that's a big exaggeration, as far as I am concerned. But it's what I first thought when seeing the trailer!